USB passthrough not working

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
paulsheer

USB passthrough not working

Post by paulsheer »

Hi!

I have a USB 3.0 Ethernet device that used to work perfectly with VirtualBox. At some point I upgraded VB and/or Linux and/or Windows and it stopped working, but it was a while back, so I don't remember exactly what change broke it.

I also tried in USB 2.0 mode --- no success.

VB gives the error "Failed to attach the USB device ASIX Elec. Corp. AX88179 [0100] to the virtual machine Ubuntu."

, expanding gives "USB device 'ASIX Elec. Corp. AX88179' with UUID {...} is busy with a previous request. Please try again later. ... E_INVALIDARG (0x80070057)"

I think all the screen shots you might need are in the montage below. (See vbox-scr.png for a full res version.) I show the error and various system information to help.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

for a high-res view see:

Code: Select all

objectivelyspoken DOT com/uploads/vbox-scr.png
Attachments
usb-error.png
usb-error.png (63.69 KiB) Viewed 11726 times
vbox-scr2.jpg
vbox-scr2.jpg (51.39 KiB) Viewed 11726 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: USB passthrough not working

Post by socratis »

Please read the following thread: USB basics and troubleshooting, all of the posts.

If you still have a problem after reading through the whole thing, please follow the advice of the last post, #8: Asking for help and post the information requested.

Not in pictures, and especially not in pictures hosted on a 3rd party site...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
paulsheer

Post by paulsheer »

I went through the thread

well my company has the "Symantec Endpoint Protection" software installed on all PCs.

so i assume it might be trying to capture the device

if you can confirm that the error "is busy with a previous request. Please try again later. ... E_INVALIDARG" means that something else might be trying to access the device, then this would explain a lot.

i don't have privileges to change Symantec, so i can't test this theory.

Paul
Last edited by socratis on 27. Jun 2018, 23:45, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
Emiel
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Linux/Windows

Post by Emiel »

maybe a bit late :) but on my installation my user wasn't a member of the vboxusers group.
I added my login name to vboxusers with changemod, rebooted and after that I could attach usb devices from my host.
I wanted to use a dymo usb printer from my windows 7 vm.
Also added a usb filter for this dymo.
And enabled usb3 for windows 7 and downloaded this driver for usb3 support :
https://dl.dell.com/FOLDER01183443M/7/I ... UP_ZPE.exe