Cannot add USB Device

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
MJ1

Cannot add USB Device

Post by MJ1 »

Hi
Firstly, as this is my first post, please excuse me if I have posted it in the wrong place... this is new to me

As I understand it-
Im using Virtual Manager Version 5.2.12 r122591 (Qt5.6.2) to create a VM to run a Guest OS W10 Insider Preview (Guest Additions 5.2.12 installed)

Recently I purchased a Kensington Fingerprint USB Key to try out the fingerprint log-in feature. (Works fine on my W10 PC)

In Virtual Manager I have gone into Machine>Settings>USB>Enable USB2 Controller and added Fingerprint Device as [ Name Synaptics, Inc. [0154],Vendor ID 06cb, Product ID 0088, Revision 0154, Serial Number 01659800a4f1

When I run the Virtual Windows environment the USB Finger Print Reader is never installed as the virtual Windows Environment starts up. It is never shown in Device Manager even after rescan for changes.

I do see the occasional message - Failed to attach the USB Device Synaptics, Inc. [0154] to the Virtual Machine W10 Beta

Once the Virtual Windows Is running if I take the device out and put it back in - it is recognised and works However, if I reboot the virtual windows , it is lost again

Please can someone help?

Thank you.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Cannot add USB Device

Post by socratis »

Please read the following thread: USB basics and troubleshooting, all of the posts. If you still have a problem after reading through the whole thing, please follow the advice of the last post, #8: Asking for help and post the information requested.
MJ1 wrote:Once the Virtual Windows Is running if I take the device out and put it back in - it is recognised and works
Great, that's how it's supposed to work.
MJ1 wrote:However, if I reboot the virtual windows , it is lost again
If you reboot from within the guest, I don't think that this should be happening. If you shutdown and restart, you need to unplug it and plug it back again.

I'd start by properly defining the filter, then enabling USB3 (it's working better).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
MJ1

Post by MJ1 »

Hi
Thank you for the reply

I have changed to the USB3 controller but the problem persists.

Here are my latest observations...

1) Within the virtual environment W10, if I take out the USB Fingerprint reader and put it back in - it is recognised and is displayed in the Device Manager as Biometric Devices - correct
2)Restart the virtual W10, at login the USB device is recognised - correct
3)Shutdown completely the virtual W10 and then Startup, at login the USB device is recognised - correct.

However, I now shutdown completely the virtual W10 environment, and now shutdown my laptop completely
a)Start up W10 on my laptop
b)Startup Virtualbox manager and Start up the virtual W10 environment
c)Now the USB Fingerprint Reader is NOT recognised/installed ready for login - incorrect

If I log in to the virtual W10 and then go to the Oracle VM VIrtualBox (Running) Menu and choose the Devices>USB>Synaptics, Inc. [0154] it says failed to attach as it is busy with a previous request, please try again later.

It appears to me that the Virtual Manager is not able to present the USB Fingerprint Reader to the virtual environment even though it has been added to Virtual Manager > Machine>Settings>USB>Enable USB3 Controller and added Fingerprint Device as [ Name Synaptics, Inc. [0154],Vendor ID 06cb, Product ID 0088, Revision 0154, Serial Number 01659800a4f1

Can this be raised as a bug?

Regards,
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

MJ1 wrote:Can this be raised as a bug?
No, it can't! No it shouldn't!

I told you to read the USB basics and troubleshooting, all of the posts.

Read USB basics and troubleshooting, #3: Device categories. Your device falls in the "Ejectable" category. Something is grabbing your fingerprint device and cannot be captured after that, since USB devices cannot be shared.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
MJ1

Post by MJ1 »

OK, will do

thanks for the help