Startup Error

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
WildYetty

Startup Error

Post by WildYetty »

Hey all;

Here an odd 1, I installed VirtualBox on fresh install of win 10, had no issues setting up an Ubuntu and a kali x64 versions. All runs well for 2 days and now this happens when I try and start my vm:
Failed to open a session for the virtual machine VM-Kali1.

VT-x is not available (VERR_VMX_NO_VMX).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
Now if I try and create a new VM I can only see 32-bit os's..
for fun I tried to install a 32 bit kali install and I receive the exact same error.

Any Ideas on what could have caused this???
Last edited by socratis on 20. Jun 2018, 15:33, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [quote] tag for better readability
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: Startup Error

Post by andyp73 »

If there is no third-party anti-virus, or similar, installed then it looks like Windows has applied some updates including something that has probably enabled or uses Hyper-V. See FAQ: I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests for some guidance on what to look at.

Other than that,we will need to see the VBox.log file from the guest in question. Boot the guest, make sure the problem occurs then shut the guest down (by force if necessary). zip the log file and post it.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.