[Solved] Windows XP crashes on latest version of VB. HELP!!

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
GameExpress

[Solved] Windows XP crashes on latest version of VB. HELP!!

Post by GameExpress »

I recently updated to the newest version of VB (version 5.2.12 122591) and I turned on my Windows XP machine. While loading it crashed with a "Guru meditation" error message.
I can boot Windows XP in safe mode, but I cannot boot it normally.
I troubleshooted a bit in the logs but I couldn't find anything or fix it.
I posted the logs. (into 3 parts since they were larger that 128kB)

P.S. While troubleshooting I found a suspicious message in the logs at line 1253 (pt. 3) which says "Not in text mode!", then the next line is all !!!!!, and the line after that says "emR3Debug: rc=VERR_REM_VIRTUAL_CPU_ERROR"
Attachments
VBox pt3.log
Logs part 3
(118.59 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
VBox pt2.log
Logs part 2
(126.97 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
VBox pt1.log
Logs part 1
(125.43 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
Last edited by socratis on 21. Jun 2018, 11:54, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Windows XP crashes on latest version of VB. HELP!!

Post by mpack »

Please remove those logs and replace them with a single zipped file.
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

You have a Windows 10 host which has inbuilt capabilities to create a zipped version of the file that would have been much easier to attach and then allow us to look through.

It appears as though some of the acceleration settings are wrong as you have an Intel i5-6500 processor that supports VT-x but there is no mention of it in the log file. I would try...

1. In the guest settings in the "System" -> "Acceleration" tab check that the Paravirtualization interface option is set to "Default" it looks as though it may be set to "None".

2. Check that VT-x support is enabled in the BIOS - you will need to see your PC's manufacturer help on how to do this and make sure that nothing else has an exclusive hold on the VT-x.

3. Try starting the guest again and if it still doesn't work, post a new log file (zipped of course).

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
GameExpress

Post by GameExpress »

Okay, I enabled VT-x and IT WORKS!!!!

Thank you very very much!!!! :D :D :D :D
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Glad you got it going. Marking as [Solved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.