[Fixed] Guest additions causes Linux VM to slow to a crawl

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
chrisdown68

[Fixed] Guest additions causes Linux VM to slow to a crawl

Post by chrisdown68 »

Hi All

I've been struggling for a while for Linux vms on a Windows 10 Pro host running so slowly as to be almost unusable.

I have found that this only happens after Guest Additions has been added to the VM, as follows:
Create new vm, 3GB ram, 2 cpu, 3D vga, 128Mb video
Install from linux mint o/s image
- everything runs/works fine

Install Guest Additions into newly created VM and reboot VM
VM now runs very very slowly / lagy

Example timings loading Open Office are as follows:
New VM, No guest additions - Open Office opens in < 3 seconds
New VM, with Guest Additions added - open office opens > 15 seconds, keystrokes lagging excessively, mouse lagging excessively

Laptop is running 16GB ram, 1TB Samsung Evo SSD
Windows 10 Power saving is set to max performance

I've tried this with Linux Mint 17.x, 18.x and the current 19 beta
VirtualBox is 5.2.12 r122591
Guest Additions is 5.2.12

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Last edited by socratis on 4. Jul 2018, 19:36, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Fixed].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Guest additions causes Linux VM to slow to a crawl

Post by socratis »

We're going to need a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run:
  • Gather the necessary information:
    1. Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state).
    2. Observe the problem, for example launch LibreOffice.
    3. Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mrp1

Post by mrp1 »

FINALLY a post with the EXACT same issues I am experiencing... I thought it was just me... This has been a very frustrating issue for me for 4 months+ (I run the exact same setup on several other machines without any issues... both Win 10 and Win 7 )

Here is what I found...

The machine that is experiencing the issue is a new build, Ryzen 1950X Threadripper with 32GB memory running the lastest Win 10 update and VirtualBox 5.2.8 - OS Linux Ubuntu 17.04.
Without Guest Additions it FLYS... With Guest Additions the keyboard and mouse barely function with HUGE delays and single Key Strokes generating MANY extra characters.
Ex. - Without GA I can edit files with ease... WITH GA it is a 10 minute, VERY frustrating task to edit several lines of code ... (Program execution speed is UN-EFFECTED either way)..

After finding this post I updated to 5.2.12 ... MUCH less hesitation and completing the edits only took 2 minutes... (vs. 10 min. with 5.2.8 ... It takes seconds without GA).

Any info - logs etc. or I can provide ??? I'd love have this cleared up...
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

mrp1 wrote:Any info - logs etc. or I can provide ???
You're joking, right? You only read the 1st post and the 3rd post (your own)???
Not the the-in-between post that talks about how to get and post the log and which log? :shock:
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
chrisdown68

Post by chrisdown68 »

Hi Socratis. Sorry for delay. Attached zipfile has the log for a brand new Linux Mint 19 VM with no Guest Additions installed + log for a clone of the VM with GA installed. As before, the VM with GA installed crawls - impossible to use.
Attachments
VirtualBox_Logs.zip
Zip contains 2 x VM logs
(58 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
mrp1

Post by mrp1 »

Socratis, My appoligies for NOT reading the full post... Here are the log files for the VM with and without GA.
Attachments
VBox.log-NoKeyboardDelaysWithoutGA.zip
(36.21 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
VBox.log-ExtremelySlowWithGA.zip
(45.25 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
mrp1

Post by mrp1 »

Socratis, Just upgraded to 5.2.14... Issues have been corrected... Thank you
chrisdown68

Post by chrisdown68 »

I've also just updated to 5.2.14r - VM still a little bit laggy compared to no GA installed but definitely a massive improvement on 5.2.12r - I can actually type and see the letters appearing on the screen !!
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I personally haven't noticed any lagging in any of my Linux VMs, but I'm sure glad that the updated addressed this issue for you. Marking as [Fixed].