ActiveX add-ons causing IE to crash persistently

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
bge

ActiveX add-ons causing IE to crash persistently

Post by bge »

Recently when I tried to login to the Industrial Commercial Bank of China (ICBC) from Windows 10 guest using IE, I found they requires customers to download and install their add-ons to login to their new login page. I followed their instructions and installed their security plugins, but as soon as the login page is reloaded, the IE stops running and closes. The login page requires Windows and IE only!

Looking at loaded add-ons through the Manage add-ons option in IE, I discovered that it is AxInputControlClass that facilitates the password entry, and meanwhile causes the problem. If I disable it, reload IE, the IE won''t crash, but I won't be able to enter password either, the password field is not "activated" - grayed out.

However, I haven't had the same issue if I use native Windows instead of a guest. This makes me think that it must be the case that the VirtualBox and ActiveX add-ons do not like each other somehow. But I don't have the knowledge to explore further.

The experiments I have done are as follows:
1. Host Windows 10 64-bit + guest Windows 10 64-bit + IE 11: Failed
2. Host Windows 10 64-bit + guest Windows 10 32-bit + IE 11: Failed
3. Host Windows 10 64-bit + guest Windows 7 pro 64-bit + IE 8: Failed
4. Windows 10 32-bit + IE 11: OK
5. Windows 10 64-bit + IE 11: OK
6. Windows 7 64-bit + IE 11: OK

Any ideas?
Thanks
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: ActiveX add-ons causing IE to crash persistently

Post by socratis »

bge wrote:This makes me think that it must be the case that the VirtualBox and ActiveX add-ons do not like each other somehow.
No, it's not. VirtualBox doesn't have a clue what's running inside a guest, therefore can't interfere with it. This is purely a software issue inside your guest. Treat it as such...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.