USB Wifi adapter not detecting networks in any guest using W10 as host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
ingenier0

USB Wifi adapter not detecting networks in any guest using W10 as host

Post by ingenier0 »

Hello everybody,

I have this problem and im unable to find a solution for it. I have a USB wifi adapter that i want to use in my virtual machines. The USB is recognised in the guest, because i can see that there is a wlan0 and also it recognises the drivers. The probem is that it doesnt find any network. It works perfectly in the W10 host and finds all the networks around.

I remember that 2 years ago this same USB wifi adapter worked in some Linus guests, but not now. Im trying to make it work in Kali and Parrot OS.

I tried to download patchs, drivers, and all i can do (i dont have a lot of experience with linux, but i think the problem is somthing with VirtualBox) but i cant make it work.

The USB wifi adapter is a NetWay581.

Thank you and sorry for my bad english :lol:
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: USB Wifi adapter not detecting networks in any guest using W10 as host

Post by socratis »

ingenier0 wrote:The USB is recognised in the guest, because i can see that there is a wlan0 and also it recognises the drivers.
Then VirtualBox is working as it should. Look elsewhere for your problem. Just because an OS/program that runs in the context of VirtualBox has a problem, it doesn't make it a VirtualBox problem necessarily. You're having an issue that has most probably nothing to do with VirtualBox, so my suggestion would be to treat it as such, as a native problem with the OS, the hardware or the application of the guest.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ingenier0

Post by ingenier0 »

The problem is that it doesnt work in any virtual machine, in any OS, so its not an OS problem cause it doesnt work also in a W10 guest, and the adaper works in the host, so its not a problem in the adapter.
Last edited by socratis on 18. Jun 2018, 19:32, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Let me repeat it once more: if the USB adapter is seen and recognized from the guest, then your networking problem is not a VirtualBox problem.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.