[Resolved] Input latency [Host: Windows 10] [Guest: Manjaro-i3 Arch Linux 64bit]

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
traeki

Re: Input latency [Host: Windows 10] [Guest: Manjaro-i3 Arch Linux 64bit]

Post by traeki »

Hopefully NVidia will chime in over here:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topi ... =2#5820676

We shall see...
traeki

Post by traeki »

Got some traction with NVidia customer support. They're looking into this, and I'll update once I have outcomes worth sharing.

Incidentally, in the interim I ran geekbench on my host and on my guest, and the host outperforms the guest by about 400%. That's ... really bad, right?

I'm suspecting there's something worse going on than the video drivers...

But, hopefully I can get that thing resolved so that we can turn clearer eyes to any remaining problems. Stay tuned! (I fully expect you are all waiting on the edge of your seats, breath abated).
traeki

Post by traeki »

I'm not sure the AUR package for geekbench on Manjaro and the direct-from-geekbench download of geekbench.exe on Windows 10 are an apples-to-apples comparison.

But it definitely feels like code is running WAAAAAAY slower on the VM than it did on my last-generation MBP. While I have not tested the latter, I suspect is 25-50% slower than this machine, metal-wise. So I suspect the benchmarks are at least broadly accurate comparisons.

Even if I get the input latency fixed, a 75% slowdown might be enough to force me into dealing with a dual boot over a VM for real work. =(

On the positive side, I should note that the other suggestions have the input latency approaching tolerable. Still noticeable, but dropping to 2 cores and cranking up the vRAM does seem to have been a valuable improvement. Thanks much for those pointers!
traeki

Post by traeki »

Okay. So I think I got this fixed.

Long story short:

-- Don't use Hotfix drivers from NVidia if you are trying to run VB, as they use somewhat different certification pathways that Microsoft is currently bad at understanding.

-- Even using release drivers, I couldn't get Windows to recognize that the drivers passed cert (as verified by VirusTotal.com).

-- Did a clean-to-the-metal reinstall of my Windows 10 host system, problem magically went away.

No idea why that solved the problem, maybe Dell does weird things to certification layers, or maybe my previous efforts had somehow created an irretrievably confusing mixup of drivers and certificates. ::broad shrug::

But, whatever, it seems to be working pretty happily now, and I'm seeing overall responsive input connections with palatable geekbench scores (more like 75% of Host speed than 25%).

Thanks again for all the help, if anybody's still listening. =)
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Great, thanks for the feedback and the legwork! Marking as [Resolved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
traeki

Re: [Resolved] Input latency [Host: Windows 10] [Guest: Manjaro-i3 Arch Linux 64bit]

Post by traeki »

I'm okay with the Resolved tag -- I'm not sure there's anything more to be done on this end.

But for the record: alas, the errors have recurred. =( =(

Hoping Microsoft and NVidia eventually coordinate successfully on certification, I guess. Ugh.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: [Resolved] Input latency [Host: Windows 10] [Guest: Manjaro-i3 Arch Linux 64bit]

Post by socratis »

traeki wrote:Hoping Microsoft and NVidia eventually coordinate successfully on certification, I guess. Ugh.
Certifications are becoming more and more of a "problematic procedure", especially if you're a developer (1000 hoops to jump). It's a cat and mouse game; how to make sure that no one that you don't trust gets in your home. See how many issues hardening in VirtualBox has raised. What does VirtualBox do? Simply checks: are you signed (enough) to get in my memory space? Yes/No. Simple. Search for "hardening VirtualBox". Thousands of hits...

The process of signing is becoming more and more complicated, so much so that you need a PhD in malware analysis just to get you started. Expect thing to get worse. That's why the "guarded walls" of *store/repo/depo were invented, to take the pain out of the end users (yeah, right). It ain't easy...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.