copy file from oracle virtual machine

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
cokedude

copy file from oracle virtual machine

Post by cokedude »

I am trying to copy files from my oracle virtual machine to my computer and I can not get it to work.

I tried to follow this tutorial on wonderhowto and I can not get it to work. The site is not letting me share the link. Just do a google search on "copy file from oracle virtual machine" and it should be one of the first links.

I am having trouble with step 7. I tried to do the command every way I can think of and it is not working.

Code: Select all

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.2.9200]
(c) 2012 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\bob>net use x: \C:\Users\bob\Desktop\Drive F
System error 67 has occurred.

The network name cannot be found.

C:\Users\bob>net use x: \C:\Users\bob\Desktop\DriveF

C:\Users\bob>"net use x: \\vboxsrv\DriveF
The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

C:\Users\bob>net use x: \C:\Users\bob\Desktop\DriveF

C:\Users\bob>net use x: \C:\Users\bob\Desktop\

C:\Users\bob>
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: copy file from oracle virtual machine

Post by socratis »

Instead of trying out random websites, why don't you try the user manual? See ch. 4.3 Shared folders.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
cokedude

Post by cokedude »

I did what it said.

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage.exe" sharedfolder add "ubuntu_lab_12.04" --name "test" --hostpath "C:\test"
I have already enabled the bidirectional drag and drop. I am not able to drag files from my host machine to the virtual machine. Can you please tell me what I am doing wrong?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

I (think that I) found the article that you're referring to: https://operating-systems.wonderhowto.c ... s-0126237/

If that's the article we're talking about, all goes well until Step 6. There the author states:
Also, check the boxes "Auto Mount" and "Make Permanent" and click "OK".
and at the next step it states:
Type "net use x: \\vboxsrv\Drive F" as the run command and click "OK".
That's contradictory. If you use the Auto-mount, it mounts the share (usually) as the first available drive letter, so you don't have to use the "net use" command. Did you check in Windows Explorer? There should be an additional drive (usually "E:\"), which will be shown as "Shared on 'vboxsrv'".

N.B.: Make sure that you click on the "Folders" so that on the left hand-side you actually see the filesystem tree. It's easier.

As for your commands... The commands in your first post are wrong. Compare the syntax from the article with your syntax. But, in any event, you do not have to use the "net use" command as long as you used the auto-mount. And if you have a problem getting the command right, your don't even have to use the command prompt, you use the Windows Explorer. Menu "Tools" » "Map network drive..." and follow the prompts.

N.B.: All the above assume that you have installed successfully the Guest Additions (GAs) in WinXP.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.