Video RAM requirements for each VM

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
marklw1970

Video RAM requirements for each VM

Post by marklw1970 »

When creating a VM on a windows server 2016 host, am I also restricted by the amount of video RAM like I am with regular RAM regarding the number of VM's I am able to create.? TIA for your help and consideration. The overall goal is to run 60-80 VM's simultaneously.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Video RAM requirements for each VM

Post by socratis »

The video RAM (VRAM) for a VM is actually RAM from the host. Remember that simple rule:
  • Total CPUs for your guests + 1 Host CPUs.
  • Total RAM+VRAM+overhead for your guests Host available RAM + some.
So, unless you have a computer with 61-81 cores (not threads, cores) and the appropriate memory (you're not going to be running DOS guests, are you?), then you should perhaps reconsider the amount of VMs that you're going to have running. The VRAM is the least of your problems... ;)
 Edit: Fixed the math of the "simple rule", it was "simply wrong". 
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
marklw1970

Post by marklw1970 »

Thank you socrates for the response. I understand now. I was under the impression that the cores could be virtualized by the server CPU’s and that the biggest challenge was RAM. The server has dual Xeon processors, 12 cores each and 256GB of RAM. The VDI being used is a Linux 32bit custom debian distro allocated with 1GB RAM and 20GB HD. Thank you again for your time and help.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Sure thing, no problem. The virtual CPUs are actually one of the few things (if not the only one) that's not virtualized. One/two/four CPUs in a VM requires one/two/four cores of your host, respectively. Plus one (at least) for your host that's going to be the "maestro" of the whole symphonic orchestra.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.