Specify bridged network interface by GUID, not name in config (#17819)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
M@v

Specify bridged network interface by GUID, not name in config (#17819)

Post by M@v »

[ModEdit; related ticket: #17819: Support for specifying bridged interface name by guid, not only name]
Hello.
I'm facing a strange problem on one of my VMs running as service (using NSSM). Everything works fine, but all the users are using czech locales on the system, so they're getting "Gigabitové síťové připojení ..." as network interface name. When running as service, the interface name is "Gigabit network interface ..." - which is different from the user locale. As the VM is from time to time edited from user space, the network interface name changes and service could not start until configuration is corrected outside of GUI. This change in names was confirmed using

Code: Select all

vboxmanage list bridgedifs
run under different accounts.
I searched through documentation, but didn't find the posibility to specify network interface not by the name (which seems to use actual locales), but GUID (which doesn't change at all)? Anyone pointing me in hte right direction is welcome.

many thanks
Last edited by socratis on 13. Jun 2018, 22:54, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Added ticket related information.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Specify bridged network interface by GUID, not name in config

Post by socratis »

M@v wrote:but didn't find the posibility to specify network interface not by the name (which seems to use actual locales), but GUID
Most probably because there isn't such a possibility.
M@v wrote:so they're getting "Gigabitové síťové připojení ..." as network interface name
Rename it in the Network Center to "Gigabit network interface". Done.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
M@v

Post by M@v »

I was afraid that the GUID interface specification isn't possible, thanks for confirmation :-(
Just renaming the interface doesn't work, as the VBox is IMHO taking the underlaying interface description (Device description property of the interface driver), not the name which can be changed. In fact, the interface was renamed to domain it's servicing...
I tried to run it directly under one of the account which is acessing the GUI (after forcing it to use english locale and restarting) and strange - the name is again localized instead of english one, althrough the english one is displayed in the VBox GUI:

2018-06-13 15:34:29.417: VBoxManage.exe: error: Nonexistent host networking interface, name 'Intel(R) 82574L Gigabit Network Connection' (VERR_INTERNAL_ERROR)
2018-06-13 15:34:29.417: VBoxManage.exe: error: Details: code E_FAIL (0x80004005), component ConsoleWrap, interface IConsole
List of interfaces from commandline under GUI account:

Name:            Intel(R) 82574L Gigabit Network Connection
GUID:            0d99c371-71a5-42a9-9839-182aa6703be3
MediumType:      Ethernet
Wireless:        No
VBoxNetworkName: HostInterfaceNetworking-Intel(R) 82574L Gigabit Network Connection
Under service SYSTEM account:

Name:            Gigabitové sítové pripojení Intel(R) 82574L
GUID:            0d99c371-71a5-42a9-9839-182aa6703be3
MediumType:      Ethernet
Wireless:        No
VBoxNetworkName: HostInterfaceNetworking-Gigabitové sítové pripojení Intel(R) 82574L
I tried to force the same locale settings as system default using Windows 2008 R2 server control panel, after restart the behaviour is the same. Probably I'm not seeing something obvious. I'll try to solve it somehow and report when I'll be able to find some reliable solution.

Unfortunatelly the NSSM is the only reliable way to me to run the VM as service without user interaction during server startup.
M@v

Post by M@v »

Uaaa! Got it!
After diging with various locale configs, modifying the interface description inside registry etc. etc. I almost gave up. After all, idea about using different network driver came in my mind, so I grabed it directly at intel and voila - it seems this one doesn't have the friendlines of localized device description and interface options. Problem semi-solved :-) Altough I wish to have guid interface specification options for such cases (at least under Windows host).

Hope this helps someone other to save some hours of trial and errors.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Impressive! So it was the drivers themselves doing that? Wow...
I'm going to mark this as {Solved] because you actually *did* find the solution. You could open a thread in the "Suggestions" section of the forums for your GUID idea and reference this thread. You got more chances of being heard...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: Specify bridged network interface by GUID, not name in config (#17819)

Post by socratis »

I see that you opened ticket #17819. So, [Solved] is out, first post gets the ticket information added...