Game crashes on Windows XP

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
john1013

Game crashes on Windows XP

Post by john1013 »

Hello everyone ! I've installed Windows XP on a virtual machine to play an old game (a simple brick-breaker game) but the game crashes at launch ! Sometimes it manages to work, but it's extremely buggy and unplayable. It doesn't go fullscreen either. Besides that, the Windows Media Player doesn't want to go fullscreen when I play a music with transitions because it tells me to adjust my hardware acceleration while all of these options are enabled in the Windows' settings. I'm pretty sure the problem is the same in both cases, but I don't know how to solve it haha.

I've installed Guest Additions (with Direct3D in safe mode), enabled 3D and 2D acceleration, put the video memory at 128 Mo but nothing work. I need some help :D

Thanks in advance !
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Game crashes on Windows XP

Post by socratis »

Programs like these tend to push the physical hardware to their limit hence the strict requirements for the graphics card (GPU) specifications. Virtual machines will never be as powerful as the host, especially on the video side. They use after all a virtual graphics card, not your host's real graphics card. Applications that have high requirements on the GPU (drawing, 3D, games, video) are expected to not work as good as on the real hardware, if they work at all.

You only option is to pretty much wait for improved graphics support. I have no clue when this will happen, or if it will happen at all.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
john1013

Post by john1013 »

Thanks for your answer, I'll stop persisting to make this thing work then !
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Just to be completely sure, we're going to need to see a VM log from a complete VM run:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe error / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
john1013

Post by john1013 »

Here you go ! Thank you so much for your time
Attachments
VBox.log.zip
(25.07 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

The only thing that I found in your setup, that it was worth mentioning, was the following:
00:00:01.713897 GUI: 2D video acceleration is disabled
That's ... unexpected, because you've already enabled the 3D one. Anyway, shut down the VM and enable 2D acceleration from the VM Settings » Display » Screen.
john1013

Post by john1013 »

Tried it but the problem stills the same...