[Solved] Another: Error relaunching VirtualBox VM process: 5

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
EarlWer

Re: [Solved] Another: Error relaunching VirtualBox VM process: 5

Post by EarlWer »

socratis wrote:Let's start with the last question, because it's easier: NO. There's no way to turn off hardening.
I appreciate the work you are doing here as moderator.

Re: "NO. There's no way to turn off hardening." This is actually not your decision. It is Oracle's business decision.

I agree that improperly signing process is a bad thing, but that's why we have anti-virus and other programs to protect our systems.

If you take a step back, you will see that many people are having this problem recently, due to a VirtualBox 'Feature' which is, in my mind, useless.

You are also missing the point of using VirtualBox. We want to work with multiple OSs or older OSs, while still using a relatively modern machine.
The VM is supposed to be a sandbox, unaffected by whatever changes on the Host machine. If VirtualBox is using host programs, then those programs can be protected against updates...
... but to completely fail if some 3rd party, unrelated software (IBM Trusteer) is signed incorrectly or an anti-virus program is checking DLLs, is just wrong. If VirtualBox is going to fail with every encounter of an unsigned DLL, it's going to have a reputation of not being reliable.

Virtual-Box should not be doing what other programs do better and quicker. This is a feature that I don't want.
If VirtualBox is going to stop working every time some DLL gets updated without the correct cert, then the choice I will make is to use another VM.

There are many DLLs out there and the chance of one of them doing something wrong (ie. not signing their update) is huge.

PS: I had the following problem:
Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: MachineWrap
Interface: IMachine {85cd948e-a71f-4289-281e-0ca7ad48cd89}

I 'fixed' it by deinstalling IBM Trusteer and turning off the DLL checking in AVG Enterprise. I don't know which one caused the problem... I don't have the time to check.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

@EarlWer
You've completely missed the point. I couldn't care less if your whole "Program Files" folder is unsigned. VirtualBox is not trying to play "cop" here, or to teach your programs rensposibility.

What VirtualBox cares about is that no unsigned DLLs get into VirtualBox's memory, into VirtualBox's territory. If a process wants to get into VirtualBox, it better be signed!

So, no, it's not about random DLL XYZ, or its updates...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
areyalp

Post by areyalp »

I had the same issue, so I contacted support and I could solve that issue with the instructions they provided me by email as follows:

1. Restart your PC.
2. Press and hold the F8 + Shift keys until you reach the 'Recovery' mode.
3. Tap or click See Advanced Repair Option > Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Windows Startup Settings.
4. Tap or click 'Restart'.
5. Use the arrow keys to choose Safe Mode and press 'Enter'.
6. Log on to your computer with a user account that has administrator rights.
7. Open the 'Run' command box by pressing the 'Windows' key and the 'R' key on your keyboard simultaneously (alternatively, click Start > Programs > Accessories > Run).
8. Type: "C:\ProgramData\Trusteer\Rapport\store\exts\RapportCerberus" and click 'OK'.
9. Locate and open the folder named 'Baseline'.
10. Rename all system files named 'RapportCerberus.sys' so that their names will contain an underscore first (e.g. '_RapportCerberus00_00000.sys'). Do not rename files which do not end with '.sys'.
11. To exit Safe Mode, restart your computer and let Windows start normally.
12. Check if the issue is resolved.

This worked for me on Windows 10 with Virtualbox installed and Trusteer Rapport as well.
jonoboy

Post by jonoboy »

I am now convinced that the hardening code is flaky and I hope Oracle will soon fix it. I have just come across the website:
https://googleprojectzero.blogspot.com/ ... ening.html

It concludes:
The implementation of process hardening in VirtualBox is complex and because of that it is quite error prone. I’m sure there are other ways of bypassing the protection, it just requires people to go looking. Of course none of this would be necessary if they didn’t need to protect access to the VirtualBox kernel driver from malicious use, but that’s a design decision that’s probably going to be difficult to fix in the short term.

I uninstalled the Trusteer Rapport and VB. Restarted PC. Reinstalled Trusteer Rapport and restarted the PC. Reinstalled VB. All worked fine. I then did a PC restart. VB failed.

If anyone who can code to get around the hardening process, I will be grateful to hear from you.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

jonoboy wrote:If anyone who can code to get around the hardening process, I will be grateful to hear from you.
You got to be kidding me, right? Are you out of your freaking mind? What's wrong with you?

Instead of talking to Trusteer to have them fix their security issues (unsigned software that wants to invade other processes), you want to hack into VirtualBox's security measures, so that your untrusted software (which is all about security BTW) can run free?

Talk about upside down, backwards logic!
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
EarlWer

Post by EarlWer »

socratis wrote:@EarlWer
What VirtualBox cares about is that no unsigned DLLs get into VirtualBox's memory, into VirtualBox's territory. If a process wants to get into VirtualBox, it better be signed!
1) There is a big difference between checking for signed DLLs and preventing them from loading within VirtualBox and crashing.
You did notice that VirtualBox ceases to run when it encounters Trusteer, correct?
Every single site that has Trusteer and VirtualBox has stopped.

2) The entire concept of 'Virtualization' is to create another virtual environment within the host OS. A clean, different environment that loads only the programs that we want it to load.
Why should an unsigned DLL that is not used or needed within the VM prevent the virtual environment from being loaded?

3) I already have programs in place that check for malicious DLLs. These programs do a much better job than VirtualBox.
What if a bad DLL gets signed? The entire hardening feature is a misplaced attempt to prevent a problem handled by other programs.

4) An option (and warning) to disable hardening would be simple. Even a place where we could add an exception would be better that what we have now. All anti-virus programs use this feature to override false alerts...

If an anti-virus program was to shutdown my computer if it encountered a problem, I would change anti-virus programs.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Either you're not "getting" it, or you don't want to get it. As I've said multiple times: I don't care if your whole %PROGRAMS% is unsigned. I don't care. I *do* care if an unsigned process wants to get into my memory space. End of story. ("me" being VirtualBox).

And I don't know what your antivirus is doing or not, maybe they don't check for valid signatures (hint; they don't). I couldn't care less.

And no, opting out is not an option. You can forget even begging about it. Fix your stuff. Then we can talk...
Djago

Post by Djago »

Let ME decide if I want to have the "feature" that doesn't allow me to run the software I need on MY computer. Trusteer (or McAfee, or whatever) is a program that I need to do some stuff. And I trust that program. You're not supposed to decide if I can or can not use it together with VB.
If you want, inform me that Trusteer (or whatever) is messing with MY stuff and let ME decide if I want to use it anyway.
I need Trusteer and I need virtualization. Trusteer couldn't care less about VB so I don't think they'll fix it. Result? You (Oracle, VirtualBox) are losing users because you think you have to decide for us.
Goodbye VB, and please inform me when I can decide for myself who to trust and if I can use the programs I need. I don't need a babysitter.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Djago wrote:You (Oracle, VirtualBox) are losing users
You are *not* a user, you are a freeloader. The actual users, the people that actually pay for support, require that protection. Do you understand that part? My bet's on "No"...
Djago wrote:Goodbye VB, and please inform me when I can decide for myself who to trust and if I can use the programs I need. I don't need a babysitter.
Goodbye then, I don't think anybody will inform you, nobody needs more headaches...
Djago

Post by Djago »

I wonder if you know anything about what a "user" is... please, search the term on google and learn something useful. It has nothing to do with "pay for support". While looking for that also take your time to read VB license and try to find what it means free software. And for your own good, don't assume anything about others. You don't know if I did pay or did not pay for support.

Regarding the "feature", it comes to my attention that you try to defend it so much. Is this your project? That's why you won't simply let go? Let grown-ups decide if they "require" that "protection" as something enforced by you or if we can opt about it.

There are users that require that, and users who don't require it. Don't assume that everybody wants that shitty "feature"! You can read everywhere: it's a bad thing for MANY users (like the ones posting in this thread). Simply google "VirtualBox Hardening" and you can see that all pages listed are about workarounds, errors, problems...

The headache is caused by this "feature" of yours, not by the users.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Once again, you're missing the whole point; VirtualBox isn't trying to protect you, VirtualBox is trying to protect VirtualBox. Now, if you don't provide an environment where safe processes can invade VirtualBox, it will refuse to run. It won't have a problem whatsoever with safe processes that want to invade its memory space, only the unsafe ones. It's not a complicated concept really...

There are many antivirus (mainly) and other software that is allowed, and that's the proof. If your setup is dirty, VirtualBox wants to keep itself clean. Clean up your stuff and you're in business.

And no, it's not my project, I don't have VirtualBox projects, I'm not Oracle. The only "project" I've ever had was to provide an easy way for OSX users to install OSX VMs and instructions on how to build VirtualBox on OSX. That's it.
IfartFreely

Post by IfartFreely »

Thank you this solved my issue.
tecnica

Post by tecnica »

areyalp wrote:I had the same issue, so I contacted support and I could solve that issue with the instructions they provided me by email as follows:

1. Restart your PC.
2. Press and hold the F8 + Shift keys until you reach the 'Recovery' mode.
3. Tap or click See Advanced Repair Option > Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Windows Startup Settings.
4. Tap or click 'Restart'.
5. Use the arrow keys to choose Safe Mode and press 'Enter'.
6. Log on to your computer with a user account that has administrator rights.
7. Open the 'Run' command box by pressing the 'Windows' key and the 'R' key on your keyboard simultaneously (alternatively, click Start > Programs > Accessories > Run).
8. Type: "C:\ProgramData\Trusteer\Rapport\store\exts\RapportCerberus" and click 'OK'.
9. Locate and open the folder named 'Baseline'.
10. Rename all system files named 'RapportCerberus.sys' so that their names will contain an underscore first (e.g. '_RapportCerberus00_00000.sys'). Do not rename files which do not end with '.sys'.
11. To exit Safe Mode, restart your computer and let Windows start normally.
12. Check if the issue is resolved.

This worked for me on Windows 10 with Virtualbox installed and Trusteer Rapport as well.
Thanks areyalp, worked for me also. Windows 7 Home 64 with Trusteer Rapport
Maulik Pandya

Post by Maulik Pandya »

I had the same issue and i will resolve by Uninstall HP Sure Sense Installer.

Error:

Error relaunching VirtualBox VM process: 5
Command line: '60eaff78-4bdd-042d-2e72-669728efd737 -suplib-3rdchild --
comment WinXP - -startvm b8215d6g-8ddI 4bfa-9dbf-5bI 8659454f2 --no-
startvm-errormsgbox --sup-hardening-log=D:\VirtualBoxVMs\WinXP\Logs\VBoxHardening.log'(rc=-104)

Please try reinstalling VirtualBox.
where: supR3HardenedWinReSpawn what: 5 VERR_INVALID_NAME (-104) -
Invalid (malformed) file/path name. [/i]

Solution:
Uninstall HP Sure Sense Installer from programs and features(control panel)
Attachments
Error
Error
Virtual_error_Solution.PNG (50.14 KiB) Viewed 4530 times
Solution
Solution
Virtual_error.PNG (91.82 KiB) Viewed 4530 times
Julpal

Re: Another: Error relaunching VirtualBox VM process: 5

Post by Julpal »

Hi, I tried every thing mentioned above, but without success.
I did not uninstall my antivirus (Norton security), as I make my living using my computer
and I do not want it to be infected (especially now with all sort of viruses around!).
Is there any other way I can try to make my VirtualBox to function?

I am using Windows 10 Home as host OS.
I am new VirtualBox and using V6.1.

Here are the error messages:
Error relaunching VirtualBox VM process: 5
Command line: '60eaff78-4bdd-042d-2e72-669728efd737 -suplib-3rdchild --
comment Linux2_6VB - -startvm b8215d6g-8ddI 4bfa-9dbf-5bI 8659454f2 --no-
startvm-errormsgbox --sup-hardening-log=C:\Users\Paolo\VirtualBoxVMs\Linux2_6VB\Logs\VBoxHardening.log'(rc=-104)

Please try reinstalling VirtualBox.
where: supR3HardenedWinReSpawn what: 5 VERR_INVALID_NAME (-104) -
Invalid (malformed) file/path name.

Then on clicking OK, I get message:

The virtual machine 'Linux2_6VB' has terminated unexpectedly during startup
with exit code 1 (0x1). More details may be available
in 'C:\Users\Paolo\VirtualBox VMs\Linux2_6VB\Logs\VBoxHardening.log'.

Result Code:
E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component:
MachineWrap
Interface:
IMachine {85632c68-b5bb-4316-a900-5eb28d3413df}
Many thanks
Paolo
Attachments
VBoxHardening.zip
(13.2 KiB) Downloaded 14 times