[Solved] Reinstall after crash

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
JimNC9

[Solved] Reinstall after crash

Post by JimNC9 »

The latest MS update crashed my Win10 system.

During recovery my user name was changed. Now VB still wants to use the old user name.

Errors with "Cannot create the machine folder WIN7 in the parent folder C:/Users/JimNC_000/VirtualBox VMs.

Please check that the parent really exists and that you have permissions to create the machine folder."

Yes, JimNC_000 does not exist. How do I get it to use the new user name/folder?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Reinstall after crash

Post by mpack »

VirtualBox doesn't know or care what your user name is. The old user name is mentioned in the error because that's part of the folder name where the VM is currently located, plus your new user does not have write access in that area. You can fix the problem by moving the "VirtualBox VMs" folder from the old user's to the new user's documents area. For background see 10.1 Where does VirtualBox store its files?

Win10 file permissions can be complex: the old user may retain ownership even after the files are moved, in which case you'd need to a "take control tool" to reassign ownership. This advice is preemptive, you may not encounter the problem.
JimNC9

Post by JimNC9 »

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Win7.

Nonexistent host networking interface, name 'Microsoft Network Adapter Multiplexor Driver #2' (VERR_INTERNAL_ERROR).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

I remember this being installed on the original setup, but I can't find it on Microft.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Change the network settings. Actually if you go to the VM settings, you'll notice a yellow caution triangle. Hover over it and it will tell you where the problem is, even though you know; in the network. You do not have setup that network, so you'll need to modify your settings.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
JimNC9

Post by JimNC9 »

Don't see yellow triangle.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

And that prevents you from understanding the solution? It is simple: the NIC name changed when you reinstalled Windows, so go into VM settings and change the bridged network configuration to use the new NIC name.
JimNC9

Post by JimNC9 »

It installed with cable connected checked. Unchecked that and all is fine.

Thanks!
mpack
Site Moderator

Re: [Solved] Reinstall after crash

Post by mpack »

Thanks for reporting back.