[Solved] keyboardputscancode - input keeps repeating infinitly

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
algee

[Solved] keyboardputscancode - input keeps repeating infinitly

Post by algee »

I want to automate inputs on my vm's, so i started working with the keyboardput* commands.

keyboardputstring works just fine, but apparently doesn't support \r \n \t and the like, so i guess i will have to work with keyboardputscancode instead to do them tabs and returns.

problem is, when i perform a keyboardputscancode, the input will keep repeating until i manually stop it (i.e. press a key on the keyboard on the guest os)

it appears the command only sends a keydown and no keyup ?

Host is Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB, Build 10.0.14393 - VB 5.2.12
Guest is Ubuntu 16.04.4 LTS - VB GA 5.2.12

i already looked around, only found this issue to exist since 2013 (wtf?):
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=55373&start=30
but no info on how to get this working, well none that actually worked anyways :roll:

please help, i really need this badly :cry:
Last edited by algee on 7. Jun 2018, 17:30, edited 1 time in total.
algee

Re: keyboardputscancode - input keeps repeating infinitly

Post by algee »

nvm, guess reading helps occassionally.

got my keycodes from here
http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/linux/kbd/scancodes-1.html

1.1 first sentence
Below I'll only mention the scancode for key press (`make'). The scancode for key release (`break') is obtained from it by setting the high order bit (adding 0x80 = 128).
:(
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: [Solved] keyboardputscancode - input keeps repeating infinitly

Post by socratis »

You might also want to take a look at viewtopic.php?f=9&t=80315&start=15#p414817
algee wrote:i already looked around, only found this issue to exist since 2013 (wtf?): viewtopic.php?f=8&t=55373&start=30
Apparently you didn't look hard enough ;). From the same thread as above (you might want to read the whole thread after all):
socratis wrote:Turns out this is a requested feature, an old one, the oldest in reference to Clipboard to be exact. We have the following tickets:
  • 2017-09-08, #17066 : Universal host-to-guest paste (closed enhancement: duplicate)
  • 2016-04-30, #15372 : Let users paste plain text as keystrokes (closed enhancement: duplicate)
  • 2016-01-12, #15031 : Add menu item to type/insert clipboard contents to keyboard (closed enhancement: duplicate)
  • 2011-07-24, #9291 : [feature-request] Guest Additions: Please provide clipboard copy paste for text-mode console VMs (without X.org) (closed enhancement: duplicate)
  • 2009-02-07, #3293 : Genereal text paste support (host->guest) (closed enhancement: duplicate)
  • 2008-01-31, #1139 : Feature request: wider copy/paste support, in Console for instance
Glad you got it going. And thank you for marking the topic as [Solved]... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.