All VMs fail to start

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
KernowPhoto

All VMs fail to start

Post by KernowPhoto »

Just experienced problem - non of my VMs want to start - they were working fine, but when I try to launch any of them I get the following error

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Clone.

The virtual machine 'Clone' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1). More details may be available in 'D:\Files\VirtualBox VMs\Clone\Clone\Logs\VBoxHardening.log'.

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: MachineWrap
Interface: IMachine {85cd948e-a71f-4289-281e-0ca7ad48cd89}

I've tried un-installing and re-installing VirtualBox as recommended but the error persists 2=0x103, rcNt3=0x103, 22822 ms, the end);

VirtualBox is running on a Win10 host BTW
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: All VMs fail to start

Post by andyp73 »

It would be very helpful if you can post the VBoxHardening.log file mentioned in the error and the VBox.log file for the guest that failed to start up, assuming it got that far, (zipped) of course.

My guess would be that you are running a third-party anti-virus tool that has updated itself and is now interfering.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
KernowPhoto

Post by KernowPhoto »

error log is attached - No third party AV BTW
Attachments
error.zip
error log
(11.19 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
KernowPhoto

Post by KernowPhoto »

here is the full on-screen message
Attachments
snap0365.jpg
snap0365.jpg (100.12 KiB) Viewed 3619 times
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

You appear to be (at least) the second person in the last few days where the log file reports:
bb0.2b94: supR3HardenedMonitor_LdrLoadDll: error opening 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\wintab32.dll': 0 (NtPath=\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\wintab32.dll; Input=C:\WINDOWS\system32\wintab32.dll; rcNtGetDll=0x0
bb0.2b94: supR3HardenedMonitor_LdrLoadDll: returns rcNt=0xc0000034 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\wintab32.dll'
Can you use Windows Explorer to check whether that file exists?

EDIT: Not entirely sure it is relevant actually. I have checked on my Windows 10 v1803 machine and that file doesn't exist, the hardening log file reports it as not found (along with a couple of others) but the guests run OK anyway!

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
KernowPhoto

Post by KernowPhoto »

There is no wintab32.dll file on the PC that's causing the problem, interestingly there is also no wintab32.dll file on another PC that is running virtual box, and there are no issues with that one
KernowPhoto

Post by KernowPhoto »

For Info I've run a sfc /fix and a DISM /restorehealth and its had no effect. Stumped as it was running fine until a couple of days ago.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

KernowPhoto wrote:Stumped as it was running fine until a couple of days ago.
So, what happened a couple of days ago? Which piece of installed software got an update?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

Hi all,

Sorry to interject here. I relate to this problem closely with mine reported yesterday.

In my case, I do not recall I have updated any software, except Windows updated to 1803.

I then upgraded VirtualBox to 5.2.12 after Windows got upgraded. (reinstall, downgrade, recreate new OS profile does not work).

The OS updates are:

KB4100403 (Cumulative Windows Update for 1803)
KB4103729 (Adobe Flash)
KB2504637 (Unspecified)

Hope this provides some clue.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

Interesting,

Reinstalling VirtualBox by repairing the installation gave a slight different Hardening log. This time, it reports there is a problem with a software called Rapport Trusteer. Shutting down the software will not work, but uninstalling the software enables me to run my VMs again.

KernoPhoto, do you have Trusteer Rapport installed? If so, try uninstalling it and see if your VM runs!
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Someone please notify the makers of Trusteer Rapport to fix their software.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

@socratis, already informed. Not sure if it will do any good because the agent seems a bit 'confused' and does not know what VirtualBox is.

I run Trusteer all the time and it never interfered with VirtualBox. This is the first time after Windows upgraded to 1803. Not sure what made it broke, but I usually upgrade using the ISO DVD and not via the Windows Live Update. This time, Windows Live beaten me to it.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Did you read the hardening FAQ? This may be an out of whack Windows Certificate Database. Usually a reinstallation of the affected programs forces an update of the certificates, but it's not a guarantee.
Trinity wrote:the agent seems a bit 'confused' and does not know what VirtualBox is.
The explanation (again from the FAQ) is quite simple:

Do NOT stick your nose into other processes,
unless you're 100% certain that you have a valid signature.

It's a really simple rule actually...
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

@socratis, I have said in my previous post before that I have read your hardening FAQ and I understand what you say, but you do realize we (ordinary folks) only have access to front-end agents that only know how to diagnose simple, common Trusteer related issues. So good luck explaining your Hardening FAQ to these agents.

The best would be that someone from Oracle VirtualBox Team contact IBM Trusteer technical team and explain the situation with the relevant people in question, otherwise, you would be adding this software to a list of others to advise people on uninstalling or reinstalling in order for VirtualBox to work.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I'm not sure if it's Oracle's job to contact every software developer out there and teach them how to properly write their software. Since the software interactions can be infinite, I believe it's the end users' responsibility; the ones that are actually affected by the combination.

As for the "technician"/"call support", if they can't understand how to pass on to their programming team the message that "our product is interfering into other programs' memory, here's the link with the explanation", they could go and become a support caller for the Food network, or WWF, or something non-computer related. That's my opinion.