All VMs fail to start

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
KernowPhoto

Re: All VMs fail to start

Post by KernowPhoto »

I do have Trusteer installed I'll uninstall it and see what happens
KernowPhoto

Post by KernowPhoto »

SOLVED.

Uninstalled IBM Trusteer Endpoint Protection (supplied by my Bank), and the problem has gone.

Thanks for all who offered advice
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

@socratis, Its not about contacting every software developer, but popular/large ones that interferes with your operation. Trusteer is a very popular software that is recommended by many banks so its most likely installed on many PCs. Also, I notice popular AVs also interfere with VirtualBox as well.

The onus of speaking to these agents is they first go thru a list of troubleshooting questions with you before taking down your question or comment, which is understandable, but it wastes a lot of time. Like you, they also don't believe their software is at fault. They will only take messages once you go past their question stages, but what is not certain, is whether if the message will be passed on or read by the correct people. If we are lucky, it will be read and attended, and if not enough noise is made, perhaps not, who knows.

That is why I say, its best if big companies talk amongst themselves. Anyway, I did convey the best I can, whether if it is acknowledged or read by the right people is not guaranteed, time will tell.
mruaro

Re: Hardening Fix (workaround) For Error After Install and Restart

Post by mruaro »

Hi all.

I'd like to give my contribution.
I have tried to fix setting the service for delayed start (3), also installing the newest version of Virtual box and nothing worked.
The symptom was the same bla bla bla ... supR3HardenedWinReSpawn what: 5 VERR_INVALID_NAME (-104) - Invalid (malformed) file/path name
I also have looked on hardening log for supR3HardenedWinFindAdversaries to check about it.
It was complaining about Ms anti malware, but I had disabled MS Security Essentials and nothing worked as well.
The symptom was the same for all VM machines I had, all with the same issue, so I was sure it was not related to any specific VM.
So have decided to check for all recent installations of softwares, and since I use and start VM every day, it has to be something it was installed yesterday ...
Bingo => Trustee Rapport from IBM. The newer version was clashing virtual box.
Uninstall and it all worked 100%. not a single message ... (so the supR3HardenedWinFindAdversaries whatever, ms essentials is fine).
Brazilian banks demand this shit software for online banking, which also crashes some browser versions.
I don't know if helps much, but the tip is: any security software may be the bad guy.

Best Regards,
Marcio.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Trinity wrote:Trusteer is a very popular software that is recommended by many banks so its most likely installed on many PCs.
It's the first time (that I can remember) that Trusteer is involved in any hardening related discussions, since hardening got started in mid-2014. Given their track record (no problems to date) I expect that in their next update they'll have addressed the issue.

And after their latest update, and given the amount of reports, it seems that it's a rather popular software after all. Which means that they've been doing a really great job so far to keep it trouble-free so far. Something must have slipped in their latest development cycle that caused this.
 Edit: @Marcio,
I've moved your post from the "Hardening Fix (workaround) For Error After Install and Restart" thread. 1) your solution didn't involve the delayed start of a service, 2) this is a more appropriate thread for your message. Not all hardening issues are the same... 
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Geba707

Post by Geba707 »

I opened a support ticket at Trusteer Rapport concerning this issue. They suggested a temporary fix that so far works for me. They had me restart the Windows 10 machine in safe mode. Then, I was instructed to:

Open the 'Run' command box by pressing the 'Windows' key and the 'R' key on your keyboard simultaneously (alternatively, click Start > Programs > Accessories > Run).
Type: "C:\ProgramData\Trusteer\Rapport\store\exts\RapportCerberus" and click 'OK'.
Locate and open the folder named 'Baseline'.
Rename all system files named 'RapportCerberus.sys' so that their names will contain an underscore first (e.g. '_RapportCerberus00_00000.sys'). Do not rename files which do not end with '.sys'

Restart Windows normally. Now my VMs load in Virtualbox. My understanding is that by renaming the designated files, some of the malware protection offered by Rapport is disabled.
areyalp

Post by areyalp »

I had the same issue, so I contacted support and I could solve that issue with the instructions they provided me by email as follows:

1. Restart your PC.
2. Press and hold the F8 + Shift keys until you reach the 'Recovery' mode.
3. Tap or click See Advanced Repair Option > Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Windows Startup Settings.
4. Tap or click 'Restart'.
5. Use the arrow keys to choose Safe Mode and press 'Enter'.
6. Log on to your computer with a user account that has administrator rights.
7. Open the 'Run' command box by pressing the 'Windows' key and the 'R' key on your keyboard simultaneously (alternatively, click Start > Programs > Accessories > Run).
8. Type: "C:\ProgramData\Trusteer\Rapport\store\exts\RapportCerberus" and click 'OK'.
9. Locate and open the folder named 'Baseline'.
10. Rename all system files named 'RapportCerberus.sys' so that their names will contain an underscore first (e.g. '_RapportCerberus00_00000.sys'). Do not rename files which do not end with '.sys'.
11. To exit Safe Mode, restart your computer and let Windows start normally.
12. Check if the issue is resolved.

This worked for me on Windows 10 with Virtualbox installed and Trusteer Rapport as well.