[Solved] Iso and discs not showing up in Windows 98

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Booty

[Solved] Iso and discs not showing up in Windows 98

Post by Booty »

Hey

I tried loading the Scitech Display Doctor and other iso's onto my Windows 98 guest but they aren't showing up. Also, I tried installing guest additions but no luck there either. The installer isn't even showing up. if anyone has an idea on how to fix this, please let me know.
Last edited by socratis on 8. Jun 2018, 08:45, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Iso and discs not showing up in Windows 98

Post by socratis »

We're going to need a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run:
  • Gathering the necessary information:
    1. Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state).
    2. Observe the error, i.e. attach an ISO to your VM.
    3. Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Booty wrote:Also, I tried installing guest additions but no luck there either.
There are no Guest Additions for Windows 98.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Booty

Post by Booty »

Wow thanks for the quick response.

Here are the logs you requested. Hope you can find something in there.
Attachments
logs.rar
(19.83 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

The log doesn't show an ISO mounted in the VM. It shows an empty CD drive.
Booty

Post by Booty »

Weird. I tried again with a different ISO. Hope this helps.
Attachments
logs.rar
(19.82 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Ok, now it shows the ISO apparantly working. It will be visible in the guest, probably as drive D: or E:.

Bear in mind that the VM is not changed by the OS you choose to install inside it, so if the CD/ISO feature was not working then the problem would be seen by everyone, pretty much, regardless of which OS they install. So, something else must be going on, like you are looking in the wrong place.
Booty

Post by Booty »

Where should I be looking at? Here's a screencap of the My Pc screen. The ISO is nowhere to be found.
Attachments
stuff.PNG
stuff.PNG (15.91 KiB) Viewed 7606 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Your CD drive should be visible in there even if it was empty (double clicking the empty CD icon would give you a "Device is not ready" error). Did you remove the CD drive at some point from the VM recipe? (note that I mean the drive, not the media in the drive). If so then perhaps you simply need to let Win98 know that the drive exists again, by going into the Win98 control panel and choosing "Add New Hardware".

Plug and Play isn't always enabled for legacy devices in Win98.

Also make sure to power down and restart the guest OS if you haven't already done so.

If you still have problems then please zip up the .vbox file associated with this VM and attach the zip here.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

That's weird. The DVD is active in the configuration and the ISO is there.
00:00:02.313185 [/Devices/piix3ide/0/LUN#2/Config/] (level 5)
00:00:02.313185   Format    <string>  = "RAW" (cb=4)
00:00:02.313186   Mountable <integer> = 0x0000000000000001 (1)
00:00:02.313186   Path      <string>  = "C:\Users\romai\Documents\win98\scitech-display-doctor-7.iso" (cb=60)
00:00:02.313187   ReadOnly  <integer> = 0x0000000000000001 (1)
00:00:02.313188   Type      <string>  = "DVD" (cb=4)
I deleted the CD drive, booted my Win98 VM, no CD-ROM. Shut down the VM, added the CD drive again, and the CD-ROM appeared again, so I don't know why it doesn't show in your setup.

Right-click on "Computer" » Properties » Device Manager. Do you see the CD-ROM there? You should...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Booty

Post by Booty »

You guys are god among men. Adding new hardware in proprieties did it. Thank you so much.

Another thing. How do I share files from my main to my guest? The shared folders thingy isnt showing up in network groups. Should I just make my files into Iso's and call it a day or is there actually a way to use shared folders?

**EDIT: I also successfuly installed the display doctor software, set the graphics driver to nucleus and chose the highest resolution available. Did the restart but the options didn't show up in display settings. I'm still stuck at 640x480 and 16 colors.
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

Booty wrote:How do I share files from my main to my guest?
As there are no Guest Additions for Windows 98 then the VirtualBox shared folder functionality isn't available to you. Your best hope if you want something more dynamic than burning ISOs is to create a genuine network share and connect to it from the guest.
Booty wrote:I also successfuly installed the display doctor software, set the graphics driver to nucleus and chose the highest resolution available. Did the restart but the options didn't show up in display settings. I'm still stuck at 640x480 and 16 colors.
Of late, I think more people have been having success using the BearWindows drivers.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Booty wrote: Another thing. How do I share files from my main to my guest? The shared folders thingy isnt showing up in network groups. Should I just make my files into Iso's and call it a day or is there actually a way to use shared folders?
As has been mentioned, you can't use GA shared folders (the type configured in the VM settings), since GAs have not been written for Win98.

You can use ISOs to get files into the guest, and in fact that's what I recommend since I assume the problem is short lived, i.e. there won't be a long term need to exchange files with Win98.

If you want a long term solution then the only practical one is a true network share, but do bear in mind that Win98's network support is ancient: it will not recognize a folder share published by your host, so in fact you have to publish a guest folder and have it be recognized by your host. In the most modern hosts, i.e. Win10, you may need to re-enable the SMB 1.0 support module, which is now disabled by default.
Booty

Post by Booty »

Oh. I'm not quite familiar with old oses in Vbox so this is good to know. I'll definetely try BearWindows.

Thank you guys so much for the info :)
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I'm going to mark this as [Solved] since the original issue has been fixed.