Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
althetaff

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)

Post by althetaff »

Hi Guys,
after the creators update my virtual machines will not work.
I'm getting a hardening error as a lot of people report.

I have being trying to resolve it my self without success.

After deinstalling and reinstalling vbox the virtual sometimes work for one or two runs then fail soon after.

I've attached my hardening log.
Attachments
2018-06-06 (2).png
2018-06-06 (2).png (79.05 KiB) Viewed 1962 times
VBoxHardening.zip
(10.94 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)

Post by andyp73 »

Unfortunately the VBoxHardening.log file is extremely difficult to read and interpret. There are no known adversaries listed in the file you attached. Your best hope is probably to read the HOWTO: Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues and treat it as guidance rather than an absolute.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
Emanouil

Post by Emanouil »

Nightmare! I have the same problem after upgrading windows 10 none of my VM's start. I uninstalled and re-installed VirtualBox still no success.
Even creating a new VM doesn't work. The create works fine but when trying to start the new VM I get the same hardening error.

Please help.
Attachments
VBoxHardening.zip
(10.98 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

@Emanouil - did you read the HOWTO I linked to? I'm pretty sure one of the things it mentions is third-party anti-virus software.

Looking in your log file it has McAfee's anti-virus, firewall, i'm a nosy sod, etc. listed in the known adversaries so I would start there. Uninstalling it is the best option, if you can't do that then try to find a way to add VirtualBox to its exceptions so it keeps its nose out of places it isn't wanted.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
althetaff

Post by althetaff »

Thanks Andy, yes I've been through the tutorial and have tried everything.

We use vbox to run a couple of programs in XP that will not run on Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.

I have two other identical machines still running fine after the creators upgrade.

The only difference between the machines is this problem machine has had a password and pin added to the windows login but I don't know whether the problem started before or after it.

I can compare the hardening logs between the two that work and the one that doesn't but basically the 3 machine are identical.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

althetaff wrote:I can compare the hardening logs between the two that work and the one that doesn't but basically the 3 machine are identical.
That's a very good idea. And beware of that "basically"... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
althetaff

Post by althetaff »

Update:
"Basically" being the key :)

After copying vdi's reinstalling vbox same problem, would start maybe once then fail with the same error.

Checking through installed programs found one program different and it is Trusteer Rapport Endpoint protection used for banking.
Although not showing up on the log, now that I have uninstalled it on one machine the VM is working again.

It has worked 5 times in a row but I'll watch it over the next couple of days and report back.

Regards
Al
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

This is the 4th or 5th report about this software! Somebody should *definitely* let them know!
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Steve (UK)

Post by Steve (UK) »

This was driving me crazy too!

If its helps others running Win10 (1803) and Rapport (usually for their bank software) - then IBM Rapport advised me to do this while they investigate further - it's a temporary workaround that allows you to run VM's without having to uninstall Rapport.

Basically Boot into SAFE MODE - then jump to 6. (unless you don't know how to do that - then start at 1 ;-)

To do so, please follow the below instructions (we recommend writing them down before restarting your computer):
1. Restart your PC.
2. Press and hold the F8 + Shift keys until you reach the 'Recovery' mode.
3. Tap or click See Advanced Repair Option > Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Windows Startup Settings.
4. Tap or click 'Restart'.
5. Use the arrow keys to choose Safe Mode and press 'Enter'.
------------ IN SAFE MODE -----------------------------------------------------------------
6. Log on to your computer with a user account that has administrator rights.
7. Open the 'Run' command box by pressing the 'Windows' key and the 'R' key on your keyboard simultaneously (alternatively, click Start > Programs > Accessories > Run).
8. Type: "C:\ProgramData\Trusteer\Rapport\store\exts\RapportCerberus" and click 'OK'.
9. Locate and open the folder named 'Baseline'.
10. Rename all system files named 'RapportCerberus.sys' so that their names will contain an underscore first (e.g. '_RapportCerberus00_00000.sys'). Do not rename files which do not end with '.sys'.
11. To exit Safe Mode, restart your computer and let Windows start normally.
12. Check if the issue is resolved.

ps - you can quickly rename all the files using the command line: ren *.sys _*.sys

Hope this helps others - it fixed the issue for now, for me.

Steve.