Hardening Issues 5.2.12 - Help Required

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
LG1

Hardening Issues 5.2.12 - Help Required

Post by LG1 »

Hi - I was using Virtual Box for more than an year on my Windows 10 laptop. It threw a hardening error today. I reviewed the help, uninstalled and re-installed VBox. I also ran scannow but there is no success. I am attaching the log file and would request help. There is a lot of work I have stored on one of the guest OS and cannot afford to lose it. Any help is appreciated.

LG
Attachments
VBoxHardening.zip
(12.36 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
mhanor
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: various

Re: Hardening Issues 5.2.12 - Help Required

Post by mhanor »

You seem to be running PowerBroker for Windows, from BeyondTrust. It seems this software is not allowing you to run VirtualBox.

viewtopic.php?p=420533#p420533
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

And don't forget McAfee, but that's less suspicious at this point. mhanor is right to focus on the PowerBroker, it's a known nuisance...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
LG1

Post by LG1 »

Thank you. Power Broker was on for some time. I shall check how it can bypass VirtualBox. It is a mandatory work requirement.

Thanks for the help
pnsud

Post by pnsud »

HI There

I am having a similar problem to my virtualbox. I upgraded to 5.2.12 recently. Uninstalling/installing afresh did not resolve the problem.

I suspect mcafee to be the culprit. It(livesafe) could not be disabled to test the issue as I had not renewed the subscription.

Could you please recommend a solution or the ways to diagnose the problem and most importantly fix the problem.

Thanks.
Attachments
VBoxHardening.zip
log
(12.2 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

pnsud wrote:I upgraded to 5.2.12 recently. Uninstalling/installing afresh did not resolve the problem.
Hardening errors are not related to the (re)installation of VirtualBox. It's the ... rest of the software that causes the problems.
pnsud wrote:I suspect mcafee to be the culprit.
That would be a correct assessment.
pnsud wrote:It(livesafe) could not be disabled to test the issue as I had not renewed the subscription.
Don't disable it, uninstall it! Your subscription is out in any event, the only thing it does now is to "infect" the rest of your system. Win10 has a really good built-in antivirus, you don't need 3rd party ones.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
vstrome

Post by vstrome »

Are you running Trusteer Rapport? A conflict with this was the cause of my hardening error.
An easy fix to un-install Rapport when you know. But unfortunately much time spent looking through the forum to find out.