Critical error occurred on my VM

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
TexasT

Critical error occurred on my VM

Post by TexasT »

I’m using a Dell Precision T7400 running. Windows 7 64-bit PC, I installed Virtualbox. Just so you know I’m new at using Virtualbox .
I restored a Veeam server image and as the restore completed. I went to start the VM and the following error message popped up.
VirtuaBox – Guru Meditation
A critical error has occurred while running the virtual machine and the machine execution has been stopped. For help, please see the community section on _____url for virtualbox goes here____ or your support contract. Please provide the contents of the log file VBox.log and the image file VBox.png, which you can find in the \C:\Users\...as well as a description of what you were doing when the error happened. Note that you can also access the above files by selecting Show log from the Machine menu of the main VirtualBox window.
I would appreciate any help in resolving this issue, and I do not see where I can upload my log file.

TexasT

I see now see where to upload files, just uploded vbox_error_TT.zip
Attachments
Vbox_error_TT.zip
(39.26 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
Last edited by socratis on 6. Jun 2018, 23:51, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [quote] tag for better readability
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Critical error occurred on my VM

Post by socratis »

We're going to need a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run:
  • Gathering the necessary information:
    1. Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state).
    2. Observe the error, i.e. the Guru Meditation.
    3. Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@TexasT
00:00:04.950690 !!         VCPU0: Guru Meditation -2634 (VERR_IOM_MMIO_IPE_1)
That's the Guru Meditation that you're seeing. Another rare one. Today has got to be the day that every VM decided to explore all the unusual ways to crash! ;)

The only minor issue that I saw in your config was the VRAM being at 21 MB and 2D/3D acceleration being disabled. I would enable the latter and increase the VRAM to its maximum. But that is definitely not a reason for the Guru you're getting. Which leads me to the question: did you install the VM yourself or did you get it from somewhere else?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
TexasT

Post by TexasT »

Just getting back into office
Yes the VM is from another system (office server). I did clean install of a Windows 7 PC and installed virtualbox, and started the restore process of the .iso file. The restore completed and I selected start VM and then the critical error message popped up.
I increased VRAM to 256 MB and enabled 2D/3D acceleration, got same error message. Any other suggestion?

TexasT
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Not from me I'm afraid. As I said, this Guru is rare, and it just so happened that there were two, seemingly unrelated instances. You could try and downgrade to 5.1.10 or 5.2.8 and see if this is a regression, but other than that, I don't have anything more solid to offer you.
TexasT

Post by TexasT »

@Socratis
Regardless. Thanks for your expertise. :)
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Where did this VM come from? IMHO that's a rather peculiar name to give to a normal VM.

"Veeam Server Image" means nothing to me I'm afraid. Is that Win7? Because that's the VM you've created.
TexasT

Post by TexasT »

@mpack
the Veeam image comes from an Dell Poweredge T410 Server, Windows 2011 SBS
TexasT
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

So this was a Win7 P2V problem? That puts it into an entirely separate category where failure is the expected result, though early failure can often be corrected if you know what you're doing.