[Solved] VBox Hardening Issue After Win10 1709 Update

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Torchwood
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Xubuntu, Mint

[Solved] VBox Hardening Issue After Win10 1709 Update

Post by Torchwood »

I am posting this to hopefully provide some info that may be helpful to other users. I realize that all hardening issues are not the same, but this case shows that sometimes just upgrading to the latest version of VirtualBox can make a difference.

Was running VirtualBox 5.1.22 on Windows 10 1703 Pro x64 without any issues. Have been running that version of VBox for about a year.

Just updated to Win 10 1709 this past weekend. Tried running VBox today for the first time since the Windows update, and got the error "The virtual machine 'vm' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1)." More details may be available in VirtualBox VMs\vm\Logs\VBoxHardening.log ...

1. Searched around the forum for recent related issues, but did not find any definitive solutions, so began troubleshooting by first uninstalling VBox, rebooting and re-installing the same version. But got the same hardening error.

2. Downloaded the latest VBox 5.2.12. Uninstalled 5.1.22 and rebooted, installed 5.2.12 and SUCCESS!!! VMs now launch without error again!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." — Albert Einstein
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: [Solved] VBox Hardening Issue After Win10 1709 Update

Post by socratis »

Great, thanks for the feedback. And thank you for marking the topic as [Solved]... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Torchwood
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Xubuntu, Mint

Post by Torchwood »

Just a (belated) follow-up to report the same error happened also on my laptop running VirtualBox 5.1.22 after a Windows 10 update to 1709. Installing VirtualBox 5.2.12 (the current version at the date of the error) resolved this as well.

So my guess is that this was not a one-off error. The hardware is from a different manufacturer make/model/year, with different security software, etc. Only thing in common really was the VirtualBox version and the Windows version. And for the Windows 10 editions, one was Home and the other Pro, both x64.
Last edited by Torchwood on 9. Aug 2018, 23:10, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." — Albert Einstein
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Torchwood wrote:So my guess is that this was not a one-off error.
That would be absolutely correct! If you want to use the latest version for your host/guests, you should be doing the same for VirtualBox. You should download the latest VirtualBox. As of this writing, that would be version 5.2.16.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.