[Resolved] Black screen when 3D acceleration is ON

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
ysc

[Resolved] Black screen when 3D acceleration is ON

Post by ysc »

Hi folks!

On my Windows 7 64 bits, I've installed VirtualBox version 5.2.12 r122591 (Qt5.6.2).
I've created an new VM with Centos7 as a guest, and installed the guest additions on it.
Everything was OK, I could launch the VM with 3D acceleration and it works just fine.

Later, I installed a docker tool, namely DockerToolbox <download.docker dot com/win/stable/DockerToolbox.exe> and run Docker Quickstart Terminal.
It added a new VM to my list, So I guess it interacts with VirtualBox in some way.

Just after that, I was unable to launch my CentOS guest with 3D acceleration on.
With 3D: linux does boot but a black screen is shown (with the mouse cursor).
Without 3D: linux boots with a 800x600 display. Which isn't great.

As a new user, I cannot enclose my full logs. Please find it on pastebin :
- VBox.log : pastebin dot com /RjbzTbVB
- VBoxHardening.log : pastebin dot com /9A7qM368

I tried to update my NVIDIA drivers but it looks like I already have the latest version. Some help would be highly appreciated.
Last edited by socratis on 18. Jun 2018, 20:22, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Marked as [Resolved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Black screen when 3D acceleration is ON

Post by socratis »

ysc wrote:Later, I installed a docker tool, namely DockerToolbox ... So I guess it interacts with VirtualBox in some way.
Docker is a program that relies on VirtualBox but modifies its configuration files in unknown ways to us. It is not supported on these VirtualBox user forums, they have their own Docker support channels. If you are having this problem with a standalone version of VirtualBox, then we can continue this discussion.
ysc wrote:As a new user, I cannot enclose my full logs
Yes you can attach the logs, simply not links. But in any event, just don't do it... See above.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ysc

Post by ysc »

I know docker is probably at fault here, I've tried to ask for help on their forums, with no luck (btw, you might want to update your link to their support platform).

Nonetheless, I could use some help to identify what docker messed up in my system, and I'm sure some of you have the knowledge about VirtualBox to do so. I use VBox on a daily basis, and I really don't want to reinstall Windows because of what docker did.

Please ?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

ysc wrote:btw, you might want to update your link to their support platform
Thanks for that, updated link.

Can't you uninstall Docker? And just use plain vanilla VirtualBox?
VirtualBox VM 5.2.8 r121009 win.amd64 (Feb 26 2018 15:44:39) release log
00:00:02.374010   Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack (Version: 5.2.12 r122591; VRDE Module: VBoxVRDP)
00:00:18.365084 VMMDev: Guest Additions information report: Version 5.2.8 r121009 '5.2.8'
You should have them all match, especially the ExtPack and the main program.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ysc

Post by ysc »

Can't you uninstall Docker?
You should have them all match, especially the ExtPack and the main program.
Ok. i've done it, this time with extreme care. I've reboot my Windows host at the end of each step. I've deleted manually orphaned registry keys... and it worked!

Thank you.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Great, thanks for the feedback. Marking as [Resolved].