[Resolved] NAT not working after update to 5.2.12

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Shah P

[Resolved] NAT not working after update to 5.2.12

Post by Shah P »

I had all VMs working properly in 5.1, as far as internet access goes. They could go on internet regardless if I had ExpressVPN on or off. after updating to 5.2.8, I had to turn off ExpressVPN inorder for VMs to access internet, annoying but still worked. So I updated to 5.2.12 and I can only access internet from VMs if I bridge to the wifi adapter, NAT no longer works. I have tried setting up manual DNS in guests, using my workplace DNS IP, Google DNS, Open DNS, and mix of them as well. I have uninstalled VB, turned off antivirus, rebooted and reinstalled VB, still the same issue.
I have a Win 10 Pro Host, with a mix of Win 7, Win XP, Ubuntu, BSD, guests and non of the can access internet using NAT.
Is there a reset command for NAT? Any ideas?

Thank you all
Untitled1.jpg
Untitled1.jpg (59.47 KiB) Viewed 19047 times
Last edited by socratis on 27. May 2018, 21:53, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Resolved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: NAT not working after update to 5.2.12

Post by socratis »

Pick a VM, let's say Win7...
  • Gathering the necessary information:
    1. Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state).
    2. Observe the error, i.e. not getting an IP.
    3. Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
In addition to that I'm going to need:
  • The output of "ipconfig /all" from the guest.
  • The output of "ipconfig /all" from the host.
  • A ZIPPED copy of the file "C:\Users\you\.VirtualBox\VirtualBox.xml".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Shah P

Post by Shah P »

Desktop.rar
(29.11 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
here are the 4 logs, Guest ipconfig, Host ipconfig, VBox log, and Vbox XML.

Thank you for the help.
Shah P

Post by Shah P »

Okay, NAT issue is fixed. This is all that happened, which lead to it.
I closed the my laptop lid leaving for lunch. When I came back I opened it and logged back in to windows.
At this point My lap top could not access internet and it had a valid IP address and so forth. So I launched the windows network troubleshooter.
It suggested to reset the network adapter, so I let it reset. When it was done, My network adapters were missing from the device manager.
So I rebooted and they came back, but all the WiFi profiles were deleted as well. If you have not tried to connect to a WPA-PSK TKIP with windows 10, you should know its a royal pain.
AFter setting up the work WiFi in netsh>wlan again, I had almost immidiate connection to WiFi, no more long waiting period to authenticate.
Then I went back and erased all the manual network setups I had done in VBox and put the VMs back to NAT. I tried all of them and they all work perfectly.
I'm not sure exactly what was wrong with my laptop setting, but resetting the adapters fixed the issue. I may had made an error in setting up my WiFi in netsh, which led to VBox 5.2.12 NAT not liking the connection
or possibly some Driver or Network setting in windows.

I'm not sure how to manually reset the Network adapters in command line or PowerShell. But if anyone knows please post it, so we can try it, if this happens again.

Thank you and good luck,
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Shah P wrote:Okay, NAT issue is fixed.
Shah P wrote:resetting the adapters fixed the issue.
Glad you got it going. Marking as [Resolved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.