Virtual box hardening issue

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
rjrapier

Virtual box hardening issue

Post by rjrapier »

Host is 64 bit windows 7 professional SP1
AV is McAffee 8.8.0 ( I cannot disable it even temporarilly)

I tried all the steps I could in the diagnosing hardening issues post, no luck there.

Attached the vboxhardening.log file.

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine vm.

The virtual machine 'vm' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1). More details may be available in 'D:\Users\218012146\VirtualBox VMs\vm\Logs\VBoxHardening.log'.

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: MachineWrap
Interface: IMachine {85cd948e-a71f-4289-281e-0ca7ad48cd89}
Attachments
VBoxHardening.zip
Hardening log
(2.67 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Virtual box hardening issue

Post by socratis »

rjrapier wrote:AV is McAffee 8.8.0 ( I cannot disable it even temporarilly)
Talk to them about fixing it, or ask them if you can exclude the VirtualBox files from being "invaded" and "probed".

You have the following in your log:
100c.1810: NtAllocateVirtualMemory (0000000000030000 LB 0x1000) failed with rcNt=0xc0000018
        allocating replacement memory for working around buggy protection software. See
        VBoxStartup.log for more details
100c.1810: Error (rc=-5645):
100c.1810: Too many virtual memory regions.
which I'm not quite sure what it means. Could you ZIP and attach the VBoxStartup.log as the log directs you?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
rjrapier

Post by rjrapier »

socratis wrote:which I'm not quite sure what it means. Could you ZIP and attach the VBoxStartup.log as the log directs you?
I was going to, but was unable to find such a file anywhere on my computer. Including searching the entire computer, all drives. If someone can direct me to where to find it I will do so.
rjrapier

Post by rjrapier »

socratis wrote:
rjrapier wrote:AV is McAffee 8.8.0 ( I cannot disable it even temporarilly)
Talk to them about fixing it, or ask them if you can exclude the VirtualBox files from being "invaded" and "probed".
Don't have much in the way of options here, corporate computer, I have to use what they install, I have no ability to exclude items or disable it.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

rjrapier wrote:Don't have much in the way of options here
Neither does VirtualBox. I'm sorry, but this is something that needs to be fixed on the McAfee side, not on VirutalBox's side. Maybe a re-installation of the latest McAfee will update properly the Certificate Database, but no guarantees...

As for the VBoxStartup.log, I'm with you, it doesn't ring a bell. Perhaps it's an older message that hasn't been updated? The VBoxSVC.log might be the one the the message actually meant, can you find that?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Another issue that was pointed to me was the Digital Guardian which "is a lot more problematic". Can you disable/uninstall that?
rjrapier

Post by rjrapier »

socratis wrote:Another issue that was pointed to me was the Digital Guardian which "is a lot more problematic". Can you disable/uninstall that?
Again, not an option.
rjrapier

Post by rjrapier »

socratis wrote:As for the VBoxStartup.log, I'm with you, it doesn't ring a bell. Perhaps it's an older message that hasn't been updated? The VBoxSVC.log might be the one the the message actually meant, can you find that?
I'll have to reinstall the latest virtual box to generate that log file again, in the meantime, to get up and running I am using 4.3.12.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

rjrapier wrote:I'll have to reinstall the latest virtual box to generate that log file again, in the meantime, to get up and running I am using 4.3.12.
This is similar to running Win95, because modern Windows require a log in password to be more secure...
rjrapier

Post by rjrapier »

socratis wrote:This is similar to running Win95, because modern Windows require a log in password to be more secure...
I am aware of all this, but I needed something working yesterday so I could do a build in a VM. Unfortunately, using a corporate imaged computer means that I have to deal with the fact that I do not have full control over things like the antivirus program. If I were doing this on my personal computer that would be different. In the end, I need to make it work on this computer in the environment I have available to me.