Bridged Adapter causes IP address to cycle every few minutes

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
PenJax

Bridged Adapter causes IP address to cycle every few minutes

Post by PenJax »

Hello Everybody,

I am having an issue and I can't figure what is causing it. I am running Virtualbox 5.2.8, Windows 10 host machine and spinning up Linux Ubuntu. The problem is my IP address keeps changing every few minutes by increments of 1 each time. I am in a Bridged Adapter mode. The weird part is that it never happens when I am at school but only when I am using Virtualbox on my home network. I am really baffled by this one and hope somebody can shed some light as to what is happening.

Also, I have now set up a static IP address so that I am able to use my virtual machine but I still want to know why this problem is ocuring.

Thanks,

Dirk
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Bridged Adapter causes IP address to cycle every few minutes

Post by socratis »

PenJax wrote:...my IP address keeps changing every few minutes...
...Bridged Adapter mode...
...never happens when I am at school...
...only ... on my home network...
It should be obvious by the text that I've isolated. Whatever is giving out IPs in your home network (your router), is going berserk and either gives a very short IP lease, or there's a difference in the time of the VM and the router, and the lease expires. Check your router at home, or (just like you did) give it a static IP and be done with it.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Shah P

Post by Shah P »

I don't know the technical reason behind it, but thru experimenting, I have found out Bridge and WiFi do not like each other very much. Sometimes I cannot get IP address thru the bridge on wifi, other times I have a good connection. NAT is a better way to go.
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

Shah P wrote:I don't know the technical reason behind it, but thru experimenting, I have found out Bridge and WiFi do not like each other very much.
You need to do a better search of the forums, this is a question that gets answered at least once per week. The answer runs something like...

Bridged mode isn't part of the wireless networking specification. With some vendors hardware and drivers it works whereas with those that rigidly follow the standards documents it doesn't. There is no rhyme nor reason to it, some combinations work some don't.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.