onscreen keyboard users

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Dianemh

onscreen keyboard users

Post by Dianemh »

I am disabled and can't use a standard keyboard, just an onscreen keyboard which doesn't have the "host key" or right and left control keys needed for ownership of the keyboard and mouse. With "VirtualBox Guest Additions" it looks like mouse clicks are all that would be needed, but I have been fooled by accessibility issues before! Any onscreen keyboard users who can verify Oracle can work for me?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: onscreen keyboard users

Post by socratis »

I do not use an onscreen keyboard, but...

You talk about mouse clicks, so I'm going to go with that assumption, that a pointing device is available, and that you use some sort of on-screen keyboard? You posted on the Windows Hosts section, so I'll assume as much. But you didn't specify what your host is (version) or what your guest is (not that important, but good to know), so I can't pinpoint any further my suggestions, I'll try the generic advice.

Most of the guests do not need the HostKey, you can move in and out of the VM, and depending on where you click the VM gets (or loses) the focus. I assume that you run the VM in normal, windowed mode and not in something more fancy, like FullScreen or Seamless mode.

Second, if the choice of the HostKey (by default Right-Control) is a problem, you can change it in the VirtualBox Preferences » Input » Virtual Machine » Host Key Combination. You could potentially choose a different combination? Perhaps something in conjunction with Sticky Keys? On my Windows hosts I choose the "Application"/"Menu" key, because it doesn't get that much use in my case.

Finally, there is an effort that started, that tries to make VirtualBox more accessible. I don't know what it will look like or what it will do, I simply have noticed the changes in the source code and in the translation strings. I think it's in the early stages. Let me know if you would like me to dig some more information on the subject, by sending an e-mail to the developers' list.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.