Bridged Networking fails after upgrading to Windows 10 1803

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Oloryn
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Lubuntu

Bridged Networking fails after upgrading to Windows 10 1803

Post by Oloryn »

I've had 5 Lubuntu VMs running on a Windows 10 host for awhile, using bridged networking. After upgrading Windows 10 to 1803, I now get a launch failure when launching these VMs, with an error message of 'Nonexistent host networking interface, name 'Intel(R) 82567LM-3 Gigabit Network Connection' (VERR_INTERNAL_ERROR).'. An example log for an attempt to launch one of these VMs is attached (note that I normally leave these in a saved condition when not using them).

When I check the networking properties, the drop-down that allows you to select the adapter to bridge to is empty of any selections except "Not Selected". I can work around this for now by changing networking to NAT, but I'd really rather have them running bridged. I assume that Windows 10 1803 has done something that has changed VirtualBox's ability to list the adapters present?
Attachments
VBox.zip
(1.42 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Bridged Networking fails after upgrading to Windows 10 1803

Post by socratis »

Oloryn wrote:(note that I normally leave these in a saved condition when not using them).
  1. Shut down all your VMs, from within the VM, normal guest shutdown.
  2. Uninstall VirtualBox. Your VMs are going to be untouched. Reboot.
  3. You may want to clean up your registry and/or filesystem at this point. CCleaner is a freeware utility that could help you. Mind the installation, it comes with "offers" from 3rd parties, known as "bundleware". Also, check out Device Cleanup program that helps you to remove any unused devices from your computer, mainly multiple "Host-Only Adapter #n".
  4. Download (if you haven't already) the latest VirtualBox and its matching ExtPack. Store them in a common location, i.e. not on "Desktop", or "Documents", but to "Public/Downloads" for example.
  5. Uninstall (don't simply disable) all 3rd party antivirus. If you're afraid about your computer being vulnerable, pull the Ethernet plug, disconnect your WiFi, don't go browsing around.
  6. Locate the downloaded file in Windows Explorer. Right-click on the installer and select "Run-as-Administrator", even if you are the administrator. At the end of the installation, choose to "Start Oracle VM VirtualBox". Do not worry if your VMs do not show up.
  7. If you're going to install the ExtPack, go to File » Preferences » Extensions. Click on the icon with the orange, down-pointing arrow on the right. Select the ExtPack from the previous steps.
  8. Quit VirtualBox. Re-start VirtualBox as you would normally, i.e. from the Desktop shortcut or the Start menu.
  9. Update the Guest Additions (GAs) in your guest(s), if the GAs are available for a specific guest.
You're going to have to do it with every Win10 major update. You can "thank" Microsoft for that...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
JEBjames
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Centos, Ubuntu, Debian, Various Windows

Post by JEBjames »

I have an Intel 82579V network card. A week or so ago I did a win10 update and then updated from VirtualBox 5.1.32 to 5.2.12. The install gave no error, but the bridged network adapter refused to show up in device manager.

The only thing I have to add is that, no doubt by 100% pure coincidence, uninstalling ZoneAlarm magically made the VirtualBox reinstall work. :roll:
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

JEBjames wrote:no doubt by 100% pure coincidence, uninstalling ZoneAlarm magically made the VirtualBox reinstall work.
I'm afraid it's not a coincidence. Most antivirus are so overzealous that they block the creation of any network filters, like the Bridged adapter. Disabling or even better uninstalling them, fixes the issue...

In fact it would have been the next question in line... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.