Windows 10 - update to 1803 - no RDP since > Error...

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Cerdan

Windows 10 - update to 1803 - no RDP since > Error...

Post by Cerdan »

Hi,

Since Windows 10 1803 update few days ago, RDP Protocol doesn't work anymore on VirtualBox for Windows (W10 64 Bits).

====================================================
Edit : 2018-05-20
SOLUTION : USE IP ADRESS INSTEAD OF THE VM NAME IN RDP
LInk : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=88010&p=421157#p421401
====================================================

Tried on 3 PC's each on W10 1803 now...
Tried solution :

---
Run : gpedit.msc
Policy path: "Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System -> Credentials Delegation"
Setting name: "Encryption Oracle Remediation"
I enabled the local policy and set it back to Vulnerable
Both RDC and VMs via VMMSSP are working
---

It doesn't seems to work, tried on all windows 10, on VM's too, multiple VM no one starts (all on 1803 too), auto updates.
It asks me to connect and after it blocks, so soemthing's better but always unable to connect...

Did Anybody found a solution ?

Thanks, Cerdan, Paris.
Last edited by Cerdan on 20. May 2018, 16:59, edited 3 times in total.
Cerdan

Re: Windows 10 - 1803 - RDP > No Connection...

Post by Cerdan »

Just to add few things.

Virtual Machine works without problems (in the VM Box), the problem comes with RDP connexion...

Tried to update to latest VmWare on some of PC's no changes...

If anybody have an ideao or solution, thanks to share.
Cerdan

Re: Windows 10 - update to 1803 - no RDP since > Error...

Post by Cerdan »

No idea ?

Still experience problems, unable to open connexion via Remote Desktop Protocol on Win 10 v1803

Tried with 4 PC's now, all of them autoupdate on W10-1803...

5 VM's open without difficulties (include Linux) in VirtualBox box but when I try to colnnect via Remote Desktop error message (everything worked fine during years before 1803).

The only one Remote desktop that works is on an older Windows 10 version... not on 1803 but 1709 see attached capture for the only one that works on 1709 :
Link Image

Capture from today, all other VM's are on 1803 and RDP doesn't works, example of not working ones :
Link Image

The message is in french, it says that unable to open the RDP even if VM is opened and seen in background.

Thanks for any kind of help.
Cerdan
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Cerdan wrote:No idea ?
Since no one else has been reporting something like that, maybe you could simplify your setup and try to determine the "point of failure"?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

Probably nothing to do with VirtualBox. There have been similar complaints about Version 1803 and RDP on physical machines in the Technet forums.
Bill
Bsoft
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: XP Ubutu

Post by Bsoft »

Cerdan wrote:No idea ?
Same problem here but on a headless server; So no control on the VM. The Ms SQL server on it still works fine but can not be maintained anymore...
Cerdan

Post by Cerdan »

BillG wrote:Probably nothing to do with VirtualBox. There have been similar complaints about Version 1803 and RDP on physical machines in the Technet forums.
Hi thanks, I already looked on every MS possible post (on first page of Google...), nothing worked for me :( I continue to try today.
Cerdan

Post by Cerdan »

Bsoft wrote:Same problem here but on a headless server; So no control on the VM. The Ms SQL server on it still works fine but can not be maintained anymore...
Hi, My servers are on external NAS servers (in a local network)... so I use Virtualbox first to virtualise one of them, mostly from the computer I work with, and after open RDP... it works very good, but since few days, no ideao why, I almost tried everything and will have to clean install my computers because make a lot of changes in system to try, I'm affraid than it opens a vulnerability...
Cerdan

Post by Cerdan »

GOOD NEWS

I've Found a solution.

Instead of use "VM NAME" in RDP, create a new RDP shortcut, to the "IP ADRESS" of VM MACHINE...

RDP > IP ADRESS > OK
RDP > VM NAME > ERROR

In my case it worked and finally I get back my RDP (use it every single day, so very important to me).
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

So, wait a minute... you were putting the Windows network name in your RDP and that failed, but when you put the actual IP that worked?

If that's the case, then this is definitely not a VirtualBox issue, but a NetBIOS over TCP/IP name resolution issue within Win10, and I'm going to have to close the thread as [Invalid].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Cerdan

Post by Cerdan »

Hi, certainly froml NetBios...
I posted here, because some other VirttualBox users may have the same problem, and this cans help them to found a solution.

I think that definitively problem comes from Windows 10 v1803 update... but on other forums (Microsoft) the problem comes from MS Server to MS Client not based on VirtualBox and nobody have exactly the same error like me.
I use it via VirtualBox and not directly from a Windows 201X server for example... I virtualise classic W10 machine and open it from another for some specific works or tests...

So if it can help anyone, I think it should stay.
Last edited by socratis on 21. May 2018, 00:54, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Cerdan wrote:So if it can help anyone, I think it should stay.
Oh, it will definitely stay, no question about that. Nothing gets deleted, unless it's spam, duplicate or breaks the forums rules (mostly swearing, links to warez).

But the resolution of the thread should show that this is not a VirtualBox problem, that's all. Plus I'm still waiting for the other users to report back.

I'm not entirely sure if this name resolution has anything to do with the fact that 1803 disabled SMB 1.0. You could search for "Windows 10 enable SMB 1.0" and apply the fix (don't remember it off the top of my head). See if that can get your "VMname" back, instead of the IP. Just remember to reboot both your host and your guest...
Cerdan

Post by Cerdan »

Hi, already tried things about SMB, nothing worked... Just did a clean VM install with latest 1803 version of W10-64B on another computer with latest VM Virtualbox, and same problem, if I use IP > Works if VM Name (in W10 settings), it doesn't...).

So off course it's not really a Virtualbox error, but some users may have this problem, it's indirectly linked to Virtualbox (ordinary connection for me works from PC1 <> PC2 on RDP even in 1803, it doesn't work if Virtual Machine in fact, strange...
Last edited by socratis on 21. May 2018, 01:12, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Cerdan wrote:it's indirectly linked to Virtualbox
No, it's not.
Cerdan

Post by Cerdan »

Sorry, maybe I didn't type well (my english isn't very good, I'm French).

I didn't say it's Virtualbox error, I just say in my case it's related to my Virtualbox VM with Windows 10 1803, nothing else... principal thing is that it works with the IP adress, so if someone have the same problem, messages should help him, if not you can delete it.
Cerdan
Last edited by socratis on 21. May 2018, 01:54, edited 1 time in total.