[Solved] Errors after upgrading to Windows 1803

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
fsr543

[Solved] Errors after upgrading to Windows 1803

Post by fsr543 »

Hi

I had 2 working VMs on Win 10, one with W7, the other with W10. After upgrading to 1803, I am unable to run any of them. I am using VB 5.2.12 In this moment I dont consider downgrading to 1709.

W7 VM error msg:
Raw-mode is unavailable courtesy of Hyper-V. (VERR_SUPDRV_NO_RAW_MODE_HYPER_V_ROOT).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
W10 VM error msg:
VT-x is not available (VERR_VMX_NO_VMX).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
I dont have Hyper-V installed and I have disabled and re-enabled Virtualization support in BIOS (after this problem). I also uninstalled and reinstalled VB 5.2.12 (same problem).

I also disabled bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off

Logs are attached.
Attachments
Logs_W10.zip
(39.98 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
Logs_W7.zip
(101.36 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
Last edited by fsr543 on 18. May 2018, 02:01, edited 2 times in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Errors after upgrading to Windows 1803

Post by socratis »

1. Can you please edit your message and replace the raw-text logs with its ZIPPED equivalents? The complete, unedited ones?
  2. You said:
    fsr543 wrote:I dont have Hyper-V installed
    ...but Hyper-V is used. Either by the Device Guard, or the Memory Integrity, or something else. Unfortunately, nobody can tell you exactly what, you'll need to do some digging.

Read also really carefully the following FAQ: Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues for some generic guidelines/ideas.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

00:00:06.250350 HVP - Hypervisor Present (we're a guest) = 1 (1)
This seems to be a nested VM, so I would say that Hyper-v is running, not just CredentialGuard etc.
fsr543

Post by fsr543 »

socratis wrote:
  1. Can you please edit your message and replace the raw-text logs with its ZIPPED equivalents? The complete, unedited ones?
Need to check this later, first time Im posting these logs. But logs are NOT edited
socratis wrote:
  1. Read also really carefully the following FAQ: Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues for some generic guidelines/ideas.
Will do when I arrive home
mpack wrote:
This seems to be a nested VM, so I would say that Hyper-v is running, not just CredentialGuard etc.
Ok. My point is I did not install explicitly Hyper-v and I checked on Windows features and it was not availiable. Virtualbox clients stopped working overnigh, I'm a bit at loss, that's why I searched for help in the forum.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

fsr543 wrote:But logs are NOT edited
Then something really weird is going on. This should NOT happen:
00:00:06.250682 ******************** End of CPUID dump **********************
00:00:06.288919 ************************* Statistics *************************
There's a gazillion of information missing between these two lines.
fsr543 wrote:My point is I did not install explicitly Hyper-v and I checked on Windows features and it was not availiable.
If this is a nested VM, none of this matters. It simply is not supported.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
fsr543

Post by fsr543 »

socratis wrote: There's a gazillion of information missing between these two lines.
I understand problem, but how else should I save log? All I see is a save button on Show Log dialog, which I already used...
socratis wrote:If this is a nested VM, none of this matters. It simply is not supported.
This is what I have
W7 VM - install from ISO
W10 VM - OVA (trial MS)

Windows 1803 changed something in OS, I was using this exact same build of Virtualbox before, without any of these errors. Except for the OS nothing as changed in my setup.
fsr543

Post by fsr543 »

I read the Hardening post and update first post w complete log files (zip)

I can still add the following

- sfc /scannow returned no corruption
- This is a Windows Defender only
- No third party AV is available
- Hyper-V is disabled AFAIK
- Both machines are powered down and fail to start
- Host was already restarted, several times, but problem remains
- Virtualbox was already uninstalled and reinstalled
fsr543

Post by fsr543 »

Problem solved, I had Core Isolation/Memory integrity enabled (by accident?), switching back off & rebooting solved the problem for me. Both machines are up n running. Thank you for you help!
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

fsr543 wrote:I had Core Isolation/Memory integrity enabled (by accident?)
No, that was a deliberate action (I call it sabotage) from Microsoft. And they've added more way so sneak in Hyper-V in 1803, we're still investigating what they've "isolated" and "forced" to run in a "VM" that uses Hyper-V....