Virtual Machine Inaccessible

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
skinger

Virtual Machine Inaccessible

Post by skinger »

Host System : Windows 7
VirtualBox version : 5.1.22 r115126 (Qt5.6.2)
Guest OS: Ubuntu 12

Suddenly after last poweroff, I'm getting this error message and actually corresponding .vbox file is missing

Runtime error opening 'E:\skinger\Data\VirtualMachines\Ubuntu12\Ubuntu12.vbox' for reading: -102(File not found.).
F:\tinderbox\win-5.1\src\VBox\Main\src-server\MachineImpl.cpp[745] (long __cdecl Machine::i_registeredInit(void)).
Result Code:
E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component:
MachineWrap
Interface:
IMachine {b2547866-a0a1-4391-8b86-6952d82efaa0}
Attachments
VBoxHardening.zip
(117.39 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Virtual Machine Inaccessible

Post by socratis »

Quit VirtualBox. See if there is a ".vbox-prev" file in the VM folder. If there is, make a copy to ".vbox" and restart VirtualBox. Otherwise restore from a backup...

Is "E:\" an external hard drive BTW?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
skinger

Post by skinger »

Copying Ubuntu12.vbox-prev to Ubuntu12.vbox, throws error file corrupted error.

Yes, E:\ is external drive.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

ZIP and post the "Ubuntu12.vbox-prev" file, let's see what we're dealing with. If you have a corrupted filesystem, then the restore from a backup is your most viable option. But, let's see what we're dealing with.

I'd run a chkdsk on E:\ in any event, a hard drive losing power while working, has the tendency to go corrupt...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.