Virtualbox Windows 10 error when initiate a VM - Error In supR3HardNtChildWaitFor

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: Virtualbox Windows 10 error when initiate a VM - Error In supR3HardNtChildWaitFor

Post by andyp73 »

I've started to have a poke around in the code where the last lines of the log files are generated (src/VBox/HostDrivers/Support/win/SUPR3HardenedMain-win.cpp if anyone is interested).

Much of what is going on around there looks to be hacks (in the nicest sense of the word) to deal with problems caused by anti-virus products that don't play nice. Be interesting to know what those people who have encountered the error are using for anti-virus software.

My other hunch is that MS have arsed about with things (technical term) again internally and not told application and system developers what is going on!

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Virtualbox Windows 10 error when initiate a VM - Error In supR3HardNtChildWaitFor

Post by socratis »

I would bet on the 2nd one.
A "pain in the keister" is another technical term for what "debugging" such problems feels like... :D
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

I think this is going to be one to pass over to the devs. Did anyone raise a ticket for it yet?

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Maybe a little early for a ticket yet[1], let's analyze the logs and see if we can find something. I'll alert the developers as well over IRC, see if they have a quick idea...

[1]: I'm mostly against raising tickets immediately, there are 3135 open tickets as of this writing, the goal is to bring them down to "Zarro Boogs Found"... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
andyp73
Volunteer

Post by andyp73 »

socratis wrote:I'll alert the developers as well over IRC, see if they have a quick idea...
I'm hanging around in both the vbox and vbox-dev channels on IRC incase you need me for anything (unlikely).
socratis wrote:there are 3135 open tickets as of this writing
Sounds like time for a cull!

-Andy.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

andyp73 wrote:Sounds like time for a cull!
Trying my best!
I think that I've managed to close about 100 or so, just by either pointing users to have a discussion in the forums, or by straight out analyzing their situation right on the ticket. I mean how many tickets with "No 64-bit guests available" or "Hyper-V prevents VirtualBox from running" can I troubleshoot? Plus the duplicates and the Hackintosh ones. I wish I had the "Close ticket" capability... ;)

The main problem is that people don't know how to, or simply don't bother to use a search engine...
doctorz1026

Post by doctorz1026 »

I tried removing 5.2.12 and reloading 5.1.30. It has the identical problem.
gramarga

Post by gramarga »

Having the same problem.

Tried all suggested alternatives (reboots, reinstalls, sfc, disabling AV, hardening log) with no success. Found no dll culprit.
doctorz1026

Post by doctorz1026 »

I got mine working again.

I went to System Restore and found a security update that was pushed out by the company to my computer on 5/14/2018. I restored my computer to before that update and now VBox works again. According to Windows Update History, that update is listed as "Dell Precision M4800 System BIOS, A23". It says more information can be found here: http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/ ... erId=MHVH5

Since this update is so hardware specific, I doubt if it's the same problem everyone is having. But maybe others can try System Restore to last week and see if other updates have created the same issue.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

That's a great finding "doctorz1026"! Yes, it may be a hardware update coming from Dell, but I wouldn't call it very specific, this seems like a microcode update for the CPU, as a response to Spectre (1-n) and Meltdown (1-m), trickling down from Intel to the OEMs. Let's see if the rest of the reporters come back with anything related.

BTW, can each one of you state whether or not you're using a 3rd party Antivirus? Anything except the Windows built-in Defender. And any other software that might be doing invasive under the scenes work, such as web filters, debuggers, window managers, GPU eye-candy, anything more invasive than Firefox, LibreOffice or Notepad++.
marcoAntonioGomes

Post by marcoAntonioGomes »

I was using 360 anti virus, malwarebythes and then found an instance of avast and norton on my machine, I removed everything, but the error still persists, I will try to restore the system to see if it resolves.
doctorz1026

Post by doctorz1026 »

Windows 7 Enterprise, SP1
Symantec PKI Client
McAfee SiteAdvisor
McAfee Drive Encryption
McAfee DLP Endpoint Agent
McAfee Security Agent

Another clue:
All was well last week until I inserted a USB stick. A file manager window popped up in my Ubuntu VM. Subsequently, I could not move the mouse cursor out of that window. No matter what I tried, that stupid cursor was stuck in the file manager window - even Ctrl-Alt-Del did not respond. I had no option but to force-power-down the machine. After that, the problem in question appeared.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

So both "marcoAntonioGomes" and "doctorz1026" are using antivirus. When were these pests things last updated? Do you seriously need them with a Win10 host? Could you uninstall them (not disable them, uninstall them)?
marcoAntonioGomes

Post by marcoAntonioGomes »

I already uninstalled, but it did not solve the problem.
Wanderlei
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Linux

Post by Wanderlei »

marcoAntonioGomes wrote:I already uninstalled, but it did not solve the problem.
Hello Marco Antonio
Can you share your exactly version of Windows 10?
keyboard "WIN + R" and type "winver" (without double quotes)

Best regards