Virtualbox Windows 10 error when initiate a VM - Error In supR3HardNtChildWaitFor

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Wanderlei
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux

Virtualbox Windows 10 error when initiate a VM - Error In supR3HardNtChildWaitFor

Post by Wanderlei »

Hello

I was running some VBox's VM's for test purpose and it was running OK.
But I don't know what happening and I'm receiving an error everytime I'm try to open some VM.

I was using vbox 5.2.12. I've uninstalled Bitdefender antivirus, and Windows Defender and stopped Windows Firewall

I've already uninstall Virtual Box as error message suggested but didn't work. The error message as text:
VirtualBox - Error In supR3HardNtChildWaitFor

Timed out after 2001 ms waiting for child request #0
(PurifyChildAndCloseHandles).
(rc=258)

Please try reinstalling VirtualBox.

where: supR3HardNtChildWaitFor what:  5 Unknown Status 258 (0x102) (258) - 
Unknown Status 258 (0x102)
The link to image below (need to remove spaces from "h t t p s") h t t p s : //preview.ibb.co/kQti6J/vbox_error.png

The log file
[ModEdit: Partial copy/paste of the VBoxHardening.log removed]

Best Regards
Wanderlei
Last edited by socratis on 16. May 2018, 22:32, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed partial log.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Virtualbox Windows 10 error when initiate a VM - Error In supR3HardNtChildWaitFor

Post by socratis »

Please ZIP and post the complete VBoxHardening.log.
And there's no need for a picture, your text output of the error is more than enough.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Fanatic

Virtualbox Win10: E_FAIL (0x80004005)

Post by Fanatic »

i had this problem today:
The virtual machine 'WINXP' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1). More details may be available in 'C:\Users\First\VirtualBox VMs\WINXP\Logs\VBoxHardening.log'.

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: MachineWrap
Interface: IMachine {85cd948e-a71f-4289-281e-0ca7ad48cd89}
i tried uinstall and install again the VBox, but the error still here, any help here?
Attachments
VBoxHardening.rar
Log here
(1.49 KiB) Downloaded 178 times
Last edited by socratis on 16. May 2018, 23:50, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed formatting.
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: Virtualbox Win10: E_FAIL (0x80004005)

Post by socratis »

You posted originally in another thread saying "I have the same problem". Well, it's *not* the same problem, just look at the error messages. So, I split your message from the original thread and gave you a thread of your own.

You seem to have a hardening error, although I can't figure out why the VBoxHardening.log ends prematurely. Can you try a new run?

But before that, please read really carefully the following FAQ: Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues for some generic guidelines/ideas.

Remember, these are guidelines, not the exact solution, you have to use your common sense...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Fanatic

Post by Fanatic »

I've already read.

Everything worked fine since last night.
I woke up and turn on the PC, and when i tried the VBox this error showed up.

So i try to remember last moments i used the VBox:
1. I checked to see if any updates occurred. 0 updates, but had 2 windows updates disponible. Tried, rebooted PC, and error still here.
2. Last night i received the msg about new Version of VBox. So after the error msg today, i did the update. But the error still here.
3. Also checked the Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues post

I have no idea but i will try again uinstall and install but in different location in hard drive.
The problem seem is something corrupt in DLL, i keep see the same error msg(1st and 2nd img) doesnt matter the start option i can choose (normal, headless or detachable)
1st error msg
1st error msg
1.jpg (31.42 KiB) Viewed 11756 times
2nd error msg
2nd error msg
2nd.jpg (45.38 KiB) Viewed 11756 times
Fanatic

Post by Fanatic »

Ok, nothing worked.

Tried old and new version i used, the error msg still the same.

Any idea?
Wanderlei

Re: Virtualbox Windows 10 error when initiate a VM - Error In supR3HardNtChildWaitFor

Post by Wanderlei »

Hello
The log is attached!

Best regards
Wanderlei
Attachments
VBoxHardening.zip
VBoxHardening Log
(1.56 KiB) Downloaded 170 times
marcoAntonioGomes

Post by marcoAntonioGomes »

I was using the VM normally and this error started to appear for me too
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

1. Uninstall VirtualBox. Your VMs are going to be untouched. Reboot.
  2. You may want to clean up your registry and/or filesystem at this point. CCleaner is a freeware utility that could help you. Mind the installation, it comes with "offers" from 3rd parties, known as "bundleware". Also, check out Device Cleanup program that helps you to remove any unused devices from your computer, mainly multiple "Host-Only Adapter #n".
  3. Download (if you haven't already) the latest VirtualBox and its matching ExtPack. Store them in a common location, i.e. not on "Desktop", or "Documents", but to "Public/Downloads" for example.
  4. Uninstall (don't simply disable) all 3rd party antivirus. If you're afraid about your computer being vulnerable, pull the Ethernet plug, disconnect your WiFi, don't go browsing around.
  5. Locate the downloaded file in Windows Explorer. Right-click on the installer and select "Run-as-Administrator", even if you are the administrator. At the end of the installation, choose to "Start Oracle VM VirtualBox". Do not worry if your VMs do not show up.
  6. If you're going to install the ExtPack, go to File » Preferences » Extensions. Click on the icon with the orange, down-pointing arrow on the right. Select the ExtPack from the previous steps.
  7. Quit VirtualBox. Re-start VirtualBox as you would normally, i.e. from the Desktop shortcut or the Start menu.
  8. Update the Guest Additions (GAs) in your guest(s), if the GAs are available for a specific guest.
Fanatic

Post by Fanatic »

Did all the steps, nothing change.
Attachments
VBoxHardening.rar
Log
(1.52 KiB) Downloaded 115 times
doctorz1026

Post by doctorz1026 »

The same thing just happened to me. I followed all the instructions, upgraded to 5.2.12, but same problem when trying to start any one of three VMs in VBox Manager. VBoxHardening.zip attached.
Attachments
VBoxHardening.zip
(22 Bytes) Downloaded 122 times
marcoAntonioGomes

Post by marcoAntonioGomes »

I also did all the steps and the problem persists
Attachments
VBoxHardening.rar
(1.48 KiB) Downloaded 111 times
Wanderlei

Post by Wanderlei »

I followed the steps suggested and the same error persists!
Attachments
VBoxHardening.zip
(1.57 KiB) Downloaded 115 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@Fanatic
My first reading of your problem was wrong. You do have the same problem as the original thread after all. Merging your thread back to the original, I'm sorry about that. :?

It seems that now there are FOUR people reporting the same thing within TWO days. Got to figure out what's the common denominator...
Fanatic

Post by Fanatic »

@socratis ok!

Yeah, very strange.. suddenly the program shows this error.
Trying to figure out what changed on my PC for this error appears, but i did nothing (updates, new program installation, etc)

:?: :? :?: