VM keeps closing out during boot process

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
mnhim001
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows XP

VM keeps closing out during boot process

Post by mnhim001 »

Hi,

I am running Virtualbox on Windows 10. I have a Windows 7 VM that has been working and today I start it up and during the boot process the window just closes without any warning. I am not sure what the problem is, if anyone can help I'd really appreciate it.
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: VM keeps closing out during boot process

Post by andyp73 »

We will need to see the VBox.log file from the guest in question. Boot the guest, make sure the problem occurs then shut the guest down (by force if necessary). zip the log file and post it.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
mnhim001

Post by mnhim001 »

Here is the log file.
Attachments
Windows 7 Pro-2018-05-14-08-23-07.zip
(22.35 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
Last edited by socratis on 14. May 2018, 17:34, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

VBox.log wrote: 00:00:30.930750 VMMDev: Guest requests the VM to be turned off
00:00:30.930771 Changing the VM state from 'RUNNING' to 'POWERING_OFF'
This usually means that you have ignored the "Windows is not activated/genuine" desktop legend for longer than the allowed activation grace period (can't remember exact wording of the warning - for obvious reasons I don't see this often), so now Win7 refuses to start. I have no idea what to do about that, I guess you should contact Microsoft about it. It may be possible to start Win7 in safe mode in which case it may run long enough for you to activate it.
mnhim001

Post by mnhim001 »

Is there a way to turn that feature off so it gives me a chance to activate it? In a non VM environment the OS boots and prompts to activated, shouldn't this be the same on the VM?
Last edited by socratis on 14. May 2018, 18:26, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

mnhim001 wrote:Is there a way to turn that feature off so it gives me a chance to activate it?
You'd have to ask Microsoft. VirtualBox does not know or interfere with software issues on the guest (except limited cases, this is *not* one of them).
mnhim001 wrote: In a non VM environment the OS boots and prompts to activated, shouldn't this be the same on the VM?
In theory, absolutely true. I don't know why it just shuts down in your case. I've had clients that expired on me before, and did ask me for activation, that's for sure.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

AFAIK, it happens in stages. First a low key reminder on the desktop. Then large dialogs when you boot up. Then death. Were you actually running the VM and ignoring the warnings all that time?

I already gave you my only suggestion: boot in safe mode, see if it will let you activate. Otherwise I'm no expert on this, but Microsoft should be able to help you out.