ID Event 12 for VBoxNetLwf

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: ID Event 12 for VBoxNetLwf

Post by scottgus1 »

Throwing in my oar, same results as Socratis: hundreds of the error, not a single BSOD.
error 12 VboxNetLwf.png
error 12 VboxNetLwf.png (37.13 KiB) Viewed 9279 times
Opsen

Post by Opsen »

I think I've discovered the issue folks. So if you've such a file(vboxusb.inf) in your system even though you've uninstalled the vbox or restored windows image, somehow you should get rid of it!
vbox file after system restore
vbox file after system restore
Annotation 2019-09-26 155514.png (95.02 KiB) Viewed 9226 times
I was just touching this file today and believe me my pc restarted at least 2 or 3 times with kernel power critical errors. I've installed ubuntu and I don't have anymore this problem atm :evil:
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Opsen wrote:I was just touching this file today and believe me my pc restarted at least 2 or 3 times with kernel power critical errors.
Nope, that can't be it. This is the "DriverStore" (cache) of already installed drivers. Touching/modifying a file there shouldn't produce a BSOD, doesn't make sense...

Also, if you're only seeing the ID Event 12 for VBoxNetLwf, again, that's a red herring.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
te777

Post by te777 »

Please delete this post.
Last edited by te777 on 1. Oct 2019, 12:07, edited 2 times in total.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

te777,
You threw in a bunch of unrelated issues in your 1st paragraph. We like to observe the "One issue, one thread" rule...

And in your 2nd paragraph, the VBoxNetLwf error on your host has absolutely nothing to do with the VBoxSVGA controller for your guest.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
aymaliev

Post by aymaliev »

Hello

Just wanted to say that this error "ID Event 12 for VBoxNetLwf" is very problematic.
On my fujitsu e736 (win7x64,vbox 6.0.4), it destroys all currently established network connections and I cannot reconnect for about 10 minutes after this happens.

Also, being a standard user, it took me a great deal of time (reading, visits from the ISP support) to find out what is causing this behaviour.

Huge "Thanks!" to the guys, who suggested disabling the virtualbox Host-Only network adapter. It solved the problem and, I guess, I am not using that for anything :)

Hope this error gets a solution soon.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

aymaliev wrote:it destroys all currently established network connections and I cannot reconnect for about 10 minutes after this happens.
This has absolutely nothing to do with the "Network filter driver is not set to go to sleep properly", which is what Event 12 is.
aymaliev wrote:who suggested disabling the virtualbox Host-Only network adapter. It solved the problem
Again, the HostOnly adapter is an additional adapter for the host. The VBoxNetLwf driver is part of the Bridged networking. Nothing to do with the HostOnly part.
Haeckli
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: W7-64, W10-64

Post by Haeckli »

I have this same error in my events since quite some time on each reboot. So in the recent days I finally did some "forensics" in the history of my event-log's and I found 2 events which contributed to this error:
  1. In January 2018 I installed the 'Nmap Security Scanner' (Version 7.60) which came along with a new network-device: the 'Npcap Loopback Adapter' (Version 0.93)
    Network adapters in device manager
    Network adapters in device manager
    Screenshot - 02.10.2019 , 08_56_16.png (10.06 KiB) Viewed 9160 times
  2. In May 2018 I updated VirtualBox from 5.1.34 to 5.1.38
Immediately after that Vbox update I got the first 'VBoxNetLwf' error and ever since I had it on each reboot.

I never thought that these 2 events caused an incompatibility which I only found today. The point is, that the 'VirtualBox NDIS6 Bridged Networking Driver" is linked into just ALL current network adapters, so it was also linked to the 'Npcap Loopback Adapter'. I now disabled it in the adapter's properties and the 'VBoxNetLwf' error was immediately gone.
Properties Npcap Loopback Adapter
Properties Npcap Loopback Adapter
Screenshot - 02.10.2019 , 08_16_22.png (40.33 KiB) Viewed 9160 times
'Playing' around a bit more I finally found 3 possible solutions of the problem:
  • De-Select the 'VirtualBox NDIS6 Bridged Networking Driver' as described before
  • Update the 'Npcap Loopback Adapter' to its latest version 0.9983 (which you find here)
  • Uninstall the 'Npcap Loopback Adapter' if you don't really need it.
Any of these methods work perfectly fine - no such error ever occurred again, regardless of which solution I applied.

In my case it was the 'Npcap Loopback Adapter' but there may be other network devices around which cause the same problem. I would therefore suggest that the 'VirtualBox NDIS6 Bridged Networking Driver' is enabled only in the physical network-ports and in the 'VirtualBox Host-Only Network'.

Comments welcome...
nono303

Post by nono303 »

Hi,

Thanks to @Haeckli feedback, i've just De-Select the 'VirtualBox NDIS6 Bridged Networking Driver' for my TAP-Windows Adapter V9 (openvpn, not required for my virtual machine) and the Event ID12 disappear after reboot :)
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Haeckli, nono303
It is to be expected that if a driver isn't loaded, that driver won't generate and Events in the Event Viewer... ;)
Haeckli
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: W7-64, W10-64

Post by Haeckli »

socratis wrote:It is to be expected that if a driver isn't loaded, that driver won't generate and Events in the Event Viewer... ;)
But the 'VirtualBox NDIS6 Bridged Networking Driver' is still loaded because it is still enabled in all other network devices...
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Oh... I didn't realize that/read that correcty, sorry, mea culpa. :?
FrankTheGeezer

Post by FrankTheGeezer »

It's interesting to see this error is still being mentioned, I thought I would check back and see. This error has been appearing regular in my event viewer for quite some time now, so I thought I would give my personal take.

Despite how long the error has been going on, I have noticed zero problems with using Virtualbox nor any detrimental effects to my PC. Others who have had BSODs and alike, maybe want to consider that the issue is something else. The problem with any event viewer logs is they are too vague to provide useful information.

Secondly, let's not forget that Windows is not perfect, more so in terms of those of us using Windows 10. (Sorry it had to be said) Maybe stop to consider that the error itself is an error, Windows Event logs are equally not perfect as per the following example, where no error is reported, yet one exists.

Since the 1909 update, I have had a daily situation where the "Windows is not activated" watermark appears on my screen, I right click on "My Computer"...ooops sorry "This PC" and go to properties, it says Windows is activated, I go to command prompt and run slmgr /dli and it says the operating system is licenced. However, go to Settings and straight away you see the message it is not activated, use the troubleshooter, it simply says "We have activated this copy of windows" Yes I am a legal user btw.

The point is, the event logs, do not report any errors in regards to SPP, in fact there is only information, none of which suggests a problem, yet there obviously is a problem, so if the event logs can miss an error, it is plausable, they can misreport an error.

You see Virtualbox mentioned in the error, so it's easy to blame the software, but if you have automatic updates going on Windows, just how many updates were installed around the time this error started, probably a hell of lot more than you think.

So I just want to point out, that before you blame virtualbox for this error, consider it may be the operating system that is at fault and actually that is more likely, as Microsoft does not test its updates as intensely as the software developers of the software installed on the operating system. As one Microsoft ex employee once put it, Windows is always in the beta stage and we are all its beta testers (or words to that effect, I can't remember the exact quote)
vuser2

Post by vuser2 »

does not matter windows fault virtualbox fault ... just get virtualization software from "other guys" and presto fast network again with no errors.
do not waste your time
ZuluZulu

Post by ZuluZulu »

Thanks to Haeckli, there are fewer error messages in windows system log on my PC. I appreciate your effort, Sir.