ID Event 12 for VBoxNetLwf

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Mr Wolf
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Kali Linux, BackTrack, Windows XP

Re: ID Event 12 for VBoxNetLwf

Post by Mr Wolf »

Ok. :D
Some days ago, I wanted to try Hyper-V (which in Windows 10 installs as a Windows addon), and... let's say VirtualBox "doesn't quite agree" with it. I had to recover a backup to put things right. :twisted:

Out of curiosity (if you know it): why VirtualBox releases have always an even number? This one is 5.2.12, the previous ones were 5.2.10, 5.2.8...
50 euros the next release will be 5.2.14. :mrgreen:
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Mr Wolf wrote:why VirtualBox releases have always an even number?
Because the intermediate/test builds are always odd.
Mr Wolf wrote:50 euros the next release will be 5.2.14.
Unless it's 6.0.0... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Mr Wolf
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Kali Linux, BackTrack, Windows XP

Post by Mr Wolf »

I've just updated to VirtualBox 5.2.14 and this damned event is still present.

...And I won 50 euros ...to myself. :mrgreen:
Losada

Virtualbox 5.2.14 erreur driver in Event Viewer.

Post by Losada »

Hello

I am on Windows 10 1803 (17134.137) and at each Windows startup I have an error in

Event Viewer "The driver has detected an internal driver error on \ Device \ VBoxNetLwf."

I completely uninstall Virtualbox and restart the PC but it is always the same error.

I also had two Blue Screen "CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION" and searching on the Internet

I learned that it came from the corruption of drivers in memory.

But the only corrupted driver is that of VirtualBox so we can make the link with the Blue Screen.

You can tell me if you have the same error in the user event viewer

of VirtualBox ?.

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Cordially.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@Losada
I merged your question with the existing topic on the subject. A quick search for "VBoxNetLwf" points to this thread already.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
CodeVisio

Driver error on \Device\VBoxNetLwf.

Post by CodeVisio »

Hi All,

I'm getting this
The driver detected an internal driver error on \Device\VBoxNetLwf.
I can see it on the EventViewer.

Any idea how to fix that?

Thank you

Details:VBox v.5.2.16 on Window 10 x64 (full updated)
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: Driver error on \Device\VBoxNetLwf.

Post by socratis »

It's not a actual problem, it's got to do with the Power settings of the driver. Nothing to worry about.
CodeVisio

Re: Driver error on \Device\VBoxNetLwf.

Post by CodeVisio »

Fine, thank you
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

CodeVisio,
I should have pointed you directly to the thread that was talking about this. I did the next best thing, I merged the topics.
JcRabbit

Post by JcRabbit »

> It's not a actual problem, it's got to do with the Power settings of the driver. Nothing to worry about.

Not so sure about that. One user above complained about BSODs and he was ignored. I'm also here because of this entry on the event log *and* a BSOD. Last thing on the Windows 7 64 bit event log before BSOD and the automatic reboot was Event ID 12 for VBoxNetLwf.

At least I agree it is related to power settings, because the BSOD happened a short while after my monitors going into standby.

This is the first BSOD I had in YEARS, by the way.
Cetus

Post by Cetus »

Socratis, with all due respect, I believe there are users here that have an idea but are not posting it and that's the fact that you say "It's not an actual problem, it's got to do with the Power settings of the driver. Nothing to worry about."

Although the "Nothing to worry about" part may be true (I have yet to see an in-depth explanation of why this error is being listed), I'm afraid I DO have to disagree with the "It's not an actual problem" part of your statement.

In Event Viewer, under "Administrative Events", under "Error", there is listed (as an "Error") the phrase "The driver detected an internal driver "ERROR" on \Device\VBoxNetLwf."

So listed as an "Error" no less than twice in Event Viewer and since "error" means, "A mistake", it's hardly plausible that there is not a problem here.

The problem as it manifests on my machine (Windows 10 Pro x64, Version 1809, Build 17763.1 & VirtualBox Version 5.2.18 r124319) is a complete system freeze at least once a day. No green or black screen, all buttons on any app that may be open at the time will immediately become unresponsive followed about 5 seconds later by the mouse cursor freezing. Only a hard reboot will get the system active again and I'm generally good until sometime the next day.

The is an entry afterward of a "VBoxNetLwf" error every time.

mhanor
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: various

Post by mhanor »

You can choose to manually uninstall the VirtualBox Bridged Networking Driver or unselect it at VirtualBox installation. I suspect your system problems will continue even without this VirtualBox driver.
MoteroV4

Post by MoteroV4 »

I had not updated VirtualBox 5.2.12 for several months and everything was fine. When I updated to v5.2.20, days ago, the first BSOD appeared in years, randomly. In the Event Viewer I did not have any errors before, but since that VirtualBox update I get the same VBoxNetLwF error that is described in this thread, in every Windows startup or restart.
I have subsequently updated VirtualBox to another version 5.2.22 today, but the problem persists:

The VBoxNetLwF Error appears in the Event Viewer at every PC startup:

Snap 2018-11-16, 17_15_31.jpg
Snap 2018-11-16, 17_15_31.jpg (105.51 KiB) Viewed 11241 times
Snap 2018-11-16, 17_15_52.jpg
Snap 2018-11-16, 17_15_52.jpg (61.64 KiB) Viewed 11241 times
EDIT: I've reinstalled VirtualBox v5.2.8 and it's ok without error. The v6.0.4 on clean Win7 (drivers + patchs), and v5.2.12 and v5.2.10 gets same error.
Windows 7 x64; AMD FX6100 3.30 GHz; MB: Asus M5A88-V EVO; 8 GB RAM Kingston; GPU: Asus Radeon R7 240; 1x250GB SSD Crucial; 2x1TB Western Digital SATA HDs
Last edited by MoteroV4 on 13. Feb 2019, 05:39, edited 1 time in total.
JrPickle

Post by JrPickle »

This hasn't been solved?! I have been having random computer freezes after putting my laptop into sleep over the past month. After looking through my logs, I found the only error leading up to these freezing events are VBoxNetLwf event ID 12 [Qualifiers} 49156 errors. After doing some googling I landed here. I even created a new account here just to post my own difficulties. When the computer freezes the backlight keyboard stays on, laptop screen is off, and the cpu fan kicks on high. The cpu is even doing something because I left it over night once when I hadn't realized it froze and the computer was warm around the cpu area in the morning. The only way to get the computer responsive is to hold the power button and force a shutdown. I lose whatever I had open on my computer when I do this and it is very frustrating. I am running Windows 10 Pro Version 1803 OS build 17134.407 and Oracle VM VirtualBox 5.2.12 was installed during all of the crashes. I am updating my VM VirtualBox to 5.2.22 and I will notify this thread if I am still having issues later.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (25.87 KiB) Viewed 10687 times
JrPickle

Post by JrPickle »

After updating literally everything I could on my computer on December 11th, my computer still froze while trying to sleep today on December 15th. The logs showed the VBoxNetLwf EventID 12 [ Qualifiers] 49156 error leading up to the freeze still. I will probably uninstall virtualbox here shortly.