ID Event 12 for VBoxNetLwf

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Kalyori

Re: ID Event 12 for VBoxNetLwf

Post by Kalyori »

Hi,

I have also come across this thread whilst searching how to resolve the VBoxNetLwf error.

If it is best to make a new thread, please let me know.

I have the latest version of Windows 10 64-bit. I thought first I should update to the latest version of VirtualBox which I've done - 1.6 - however after a fresh boot this morning the error still appears straight away (event ID 12). Is this simply a bug in VBox at the moment, or is it a particular conflict with my system and I should be looking how to correct it?

Cheers,
Kalyori
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

If you read back through the thread you will find that this error is a red herring and does not cause trouble with your Virtualbox or your host PC in any way. I have tons of these errors and have no trouble with Virtualbox on my hosts.
Kalyori

Post by Kalyori »

Ah thanks - good to know.
KenUnix

Post by KenUnix »

04-11-2020

I continue to get these messages. If Vbox Manager is running or not.

Log Name: System
Source: VBoxNetLwf
Date: 10/25/2019 6:04:42 PM
Event ID: 12
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: DESKTOP-64ED1AI
Description:
The driver detected an internal driver error on \Device\VBoxNetLwf.

They sometimes occur in rapid succession.

Each time causing the P.C. to make the disconnect then connect tones.
That drives folks around here nuts. They ask what's wrong?
Can I at least disable those tones?

I am running version VirtualBox-6.1.4-136177-Win.exe on Windows 10 64 bit home.

These started happening on 10/25/2019. Unfortunately I do not have the installed
version that far back. Perhaps someone knows what version would have been out then?

I would appreciate some help. Thank you.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

@KenUnix, those tones are a function of your host OS, not Virtualbox. Use your OS sound controls to turn these tones off. We would also need proof that the tones playing is connected to the error.
If you read through the thread, you will see that some users, like myself, get these 'errors' in the Event Viewer all the time, but never have problems over them.
tnno

Post by tnno »

This is a long thread and obviously a lot of people have problem with VBoxNetLwf. My Matebook X Pro randomly freeze completely after wakeup from sleep and this error is the last in the event list. If I quickly press and hold the powerbutton, it will reboot, but if I leave it for a minute or so to see if it unfreezes, it hangs to the point where holding the powerbutton will not turn off the machine, I have to wait for the battery to empty. This might be unrlated and a Huawei issue, thought holding the powerbutton was supposed to be a hardware reset.

I also have the network disconnect issues mention.

Has this problem been posted as a bug to Oracle and does anyone know if it is beeing worked at? Seems to be an issue back several years.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

Again: The event 12 for VBoxNetLwf is not the source of your problems.
This message just means that Windows tried to send the filter driver to sleep and this doesn't work with some kinds of virtual network adapters.
In viewtopic.php?p=458982#p458982 another user explained how he got rid of these messages.
If the event 12 shows as last event in the log then probably it was the driver coming afterwards which crashed getting the "go to sleep" message, and this crashed in a way that windows was not able to log an error message about it anymore.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

All new would-be posters on this topic, please note Martin's summary on this 'error', above this post.