Cannot get virtualbox to use host only adapter 169.254

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Cannot get virtualbox to use host only adapter 169.254

Post by socratis »

@kimiryu
You are talking about Bridged and NAT. The OP is talking about HostOnly. Please do not hijack other people's threads, especially if it's not the same problem at all. It's easy enough to open your own thread. Please do. And we're going to need logs. See "Minimum information needed for assistance".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

IrishG wrote:Can anyone suggest some logging in virtualbox in relation to this issue?
Not really, not the way you're thinking at least. I'm thinking that something might be out of whack in your setup, so I'd suggest a re-installation of VirtualBox. It never hurt anyone to start with a clean start.
  1. Uninstall VirtualBox. Your VMs are going to be untouched. Reboot.
  2. You may want to clean up your registry and/or filesystem at this point. CCleaner is a freeware utility that could help you. Mind the installation, it comes with "offers" from 3rd parties, known as "bundleware". Also, check out Device Cleanup program that helps you to remove any unused devices from your computer, mainly multiple "Host-Only Adapter #n".
  3. Download (if you haven't already) the latest VirtualBox and its matching ExtPack. Store them in a common location, i.e. not on "Desktop", or "Documents", but to "Public/Downloads" for example.
  4. Uninstall (don't simply disable) all 3rd party antivirus. If you're afraid about your computer being vulnerable, pull the Ethernet plug, disconnect your WiFi, don't go browsing around.
  5. Locate the downloaded file in Windows Explorer. Right-click on the installer and select "Run-as-Administrator", even if you are the administrator. At the end of the installation, choose to "Start Oracle VM VirtualBox". Do not worry if your VMs do not show up.
  6. If you're going to install the ExtPack, go to File » Preferences » Extensions. Click on the icon with the orange, down-pointing arrow on the right. Select the ExtPack from the previous steps.
  7. Quit VirtualBox. Re-start VirtualBox as you would normally, i.e. from the Desktop shortcut or the Start menu.
  8. Update the Guest Additions (GAs) in your guest(s), if the GAs are available for a specific guest.
I would like to see also two files:
  1. The "VirtualBox.xml" file located in the "C\Users\<you>\.VirtualBox". Note the dot "." before the "VirtualBox".
  2. The recipe of your VM, the .vbox file. Right-click on the VM, "Show in Explorer". The .vbox file that's going to show in a WinExplorer window is the file I'm after.
  3. ZIP both of these files and attach them in your response.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
IrishG

Post by IrishG »

Strangely enough when I run the following command on the host when the Virtualbox host only Ethernet adapter has obtain IP address automatically set I see the following

-- Ignore have to manually set IP address to 192.168.56.1 for the Virtualbox host only Ethernet adapter on the other machine where it works
IrishG

Post by IrishG »

@socratis

Thank you for your reply I have tried these steps already a couple of times but will do so again later today and post the data you mentioned.
IrishG

Post by IrishG »

@socratis

Sorry for the delay in my update to you, had to deal with an urgent work issue.

Attached are the requested files as the host only adapter is still in the 169.254 range after following your steps on one of my machines.
Attachments
OVMFiles.zip
(3.03 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

IrishG, can you post the output of the following command from both the host and the guest?
  • ipconfig /all
jababcn

Post by jababcn »

I applied the next solution and it works for me :

Network adapters / VirtualBox Host-Only Network / Properties

and uncheck "TCP/IPv6 Protocol" then you can set and static or dynamic IPv4 in properties
jababcn

Post by jababcn »

After research a little more I discorver that the virtualbox DHCP server start to assign automaticly addresses in IPv6 version, however the Windows Network Adapter Host-Only is configured to work over IPv4 version.
When Windows adapter (IPv4) request an address ,it doesn't recognise the IPv6 version , and APIPA offers an IPv4 169.254.xxx.xxx that macht with the Windows Adapter IPv4.

To solve the conflict between offers and request of IPv4 and IPv6 versions with DHCP I made the nexts steps.

I listed the host-only interfaces

VBoxManage list hostonlyifs

Then I removed the DHCP server of virtualbox for that interface

VBoxManage dhcpserver remove --ifname "VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter"

And finally I assigned a static IPv4 over Windows Network Adapter.