Virtualbox issue - frequent Network disconnects

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Bibin

Re: Virtualbox issue - frequent Network disconnects

Post by Bibin »

Hello Masters,

Is there anyone experienced this issue? It would be very helpful if someone can suggest me on this frequent DHCP IP release and connection issues..

Hoping to listen something soon!!

Thanks,
Bibin
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Bibin wrote:Is there anyone experienced this issue? It would be very helpful if someone can suggest me on this frequent DHCP IP release and connection issues..
According to the developers this is quite unusual, and the DHCP server included with the NAT option, should give a lease for the IP for 24 hours. Even if the client requests something different. Only a capture of the DHCP packets could reveal what's going on.

Consider installing Wireshark in the guest and using the following command:
  • 
    VBoxManage modifyvm <uuid|vm> --nictrace<1-N> on --nictracefile<1-N> <filename>
For more information, see the user manual. You should have a searchable PDF in the "%VirtualBox_Install%/doc" directory.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Bibin

Post by Bibin »

Thanks, But I am unable to see the manual to read the instructions. I have installed Wireshark on my windows guest. But it is not clear where should I run the given command. thanks again!!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Bibin wrote:But I am unable to see the manual to read the instructions
C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\docs\UserManual.pdf (if you chose the default installation directory).
Bibin wrote:I have installed Wireshark on my windows guest. But it is not clear where should I run the given command
Me neither. I have never used Wireshark (yet).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
virtbnick

Post by virtbnick »

Hello,

As for "noone else seems to have this problem". I have a similar problem. And also: disconnects of the network interfaces in linux VMs under the Virtualbox have been reported multiple times here or in distributions' forums in the past. There were some longer discussions going on with many try an error suggestions, unfortunately none of them solved the problem for me.

The problem:
When I run an ansible job for more than say 20 systems in an inventory file I'm getting the said network disconnects for 20-30 seconds and then the connections come back. I am running a endless "ping" in another window and see that the default GW 10.0.2.2 stops answering and then starts again. (ICMP unreachable)

The ansible command is:
ansible default -i hosts -m shell -a "grep 1.2.3.* /etc/resolv.conf"

My setups:
Working in a corporation, the Windows 10 on the host is for sure pretty much customized by the company, AD policies in use etc
HW HP ElliteBook 8xx (older and now newer generation), connection over Ethernet cable, WiFi is disabled.
Host: Win10, guest: Fedora 25 with the original plain vanilla kernel, VB 5.1.10 (most probably this version) or possibly 5.1.22 and the corresponding Guest Additions installed, no OS updates whatsoever - the network works fine, no disconnects.
If I upgrade the kernel or simply run "yum/dnf update" - the disconnects start happening. (Yes, the guest additions are recompiled/reinstalled for the newer kernel, the VM is rebooted)

I got a new laptop this year and installed Fedora 29 and Virtualbox 6.0.4 naively thinking things got fixed by now... The host is again Win10. I upgraded the kernel and ho and behold... exactly the same problem!!

The difference this time is that there is nothing about it in /var/log/messages in opposition to Fedora 25 when there were actually some errors logged based on which I could find more specific informations about this. The actual disconnects were logged as "SOME_NET_DISCONNECT_SOMETHING". Obviously I don't have the Fedora 25 anymore so can't say exactly what the errors were.

The network type in the Virtualbox is NAT.

In the Virtualbox.log on the host there are only the DHCP offers logged. Nothing else at the time of the problem happening.

I also don't find anything in the Windows Event Log for the time of the issue happening.

Regards.
NexusStar

Post by NexusStar »

So I'm experiencing the same issue and it's quite annoying:
Here is My setup:
Host: Linux 5.4.40-1-MANJARO
VB: virtualbox 6.1.6-1 , virtualbox-ext-oracle 6.1.6-1
And the log is full of this:

Code: Select all

00:32:28.772797 NAT: DHCP offered IP address 10.0.2.15
00:32:39.848026 NAT: DHCP offered IP address 10.0.2.15
00:32:49.574930 NAT: DHCP offered IP address 10.0.2.15
00:33:00.580587 NAT: DHCP offered IP address 10.0.2.15
00:33:11.414759 NAT: DHCP offered IP address 10.0.2.15
00:33:22.258835 NAT: DHCP offered IP address 10.0.2.15
Attachments
2020-05-14-19-13-50.zip
And complete run log
(35.77 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
NexusStar

Post by NexusStar »

NexusStar wrote:So I'm experiencing the same issue and it's quite annoying:
I've updated to version virtualbox 6.1.8.1 , virtualbox-ext-oracle 6.1.8-1
And no change.
Any suggestions, anyone?
CaptainDiba

Post by CaptainDiba »

Hi,
I have the same problem with a Windows 10 64-bit VM on Oracle VirtualBox 6.1.10 r138449 in an Ubuntu 20.04 LTS 64-bit host (All recent versions to the date).
Struggling with the issue for a day (All installations are fresh), I found from this forum that the problem disappears if LAN is used instead of WiFi. Interesting that I was receiving timeouts time-by-time when I was on WiFi but ping with ethernet cable was returning fine results. But in both cases I experienced VPN disconnection. Didn't have enough time to analyse more.
It seems that the problem is there whether you use VBox in a windows or Linux environment for running Windows or Linux host.
Thank You
Captain Diba
Joenic107

Post by Joenic107 »

I faced the same issue but I found a solution that worked for me for a while now.
This solution is only for Bridged Adapter and using WiFi.
My vbox setup is currently version 6.1 and I'm using Bridged Adapter and also WiFi.
Note: documentation about Bridge Adapter says that it doesn't work well with WiFi.
my work around for this situation is:
go -> File -> Host Network Manager -> Properties

its normally the first option is selected by default * configure Adapter Automatically
Change Made:
Shutdown any Vbox vms before you do any changes then
1.Change it to Second Option that is * Configure Adapter Manually and also uncheck box enable for DHCP Server.
2.After changed to Manual , give a unique ipv4 address that does not conflict with any existing ip address.
3. click Apply button.
Then start your VMs and check if its working, check for atleat 30-45 mins.
Disclaimer : I did face some situation where the adapter gets added automatically and when i saw that I just removed it from the network manager. did all the 3 steps again. so after sometimes it didn't automatically add anything
but not sure why it happened in the first place but some auto configuration management is to be blamed.
As said earlier Note: documentation about Bridge Adapter says that it doesn't work well with WiFi.
I'm not entirely sure how all the vbox systems work together for that I need to study every release version.I can't guarantee that this solution will work for your configuration even if the configuration is same as mine.
please let me know if this solution is helpful or is there another better solution available for this problem.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

This topic is from 2018. Time to lock it.