[Solved] Setting "Scale Factor" to 250%

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
vb88

[Solved] Setting "Scale Factor" to 250%

Post by vb88 »

My laptop screen has resolution 3840x2160 with scale 250%.

How to set host machine "Scale Factor" to 250% ?

It looks like I can't do it with GUI now, because it's limited to 200% and it's not enough...
Last edited by socratis on 4. May 2018, 01:53, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Setting "Scale Factor" to 250%

Post by socratis »

• VBoxManage setextradata "<VM_Name>" GUI/ScaleFactor 2.5
For a more detailed explanation, see the original post: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=77731#p362196

Just don't go into your VM settings and press "OK" after that, or it will be lost. You can fix it again of course by re-entering the command above.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
vb88

Post by vb88 »

Thanks a lot! It helped :)
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Glad you got it going. Marking as [Solved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
merced

Re: [Solved] Setting "Scale Factor" to 250%

Post by merced »

Because resolutions of a number of laptops reach 3K/4K, in which display scale factor in Windows is often set to 250%. However emulation of low resolutions (e.g. Display scale factor in Windows is 100%) is often needed, we should set Scale Factor in VM display settings to 250% in this condition. So I think that the max value of Scale Factor trackbar of Display settings of VirtualBox VM is a bit lower. We have to modify the .vbox config file. it will be perfect if max value of Scale Factor trackbar is increased to 400%,
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: [Solved] Setting "Scale Factor" to 250%

Post by socratis »

I was thinking more of changing the range to 25-400, i.e. 4x smaller up to 4x larger. That should be plenty for the GUI I believe, from a stamp-sized zoom factor, up to "I can't see DOS anymore, too big" zoom factor.

But, merced, having said that, the next (or the one after that, I don't really know) version of VirtualBox is working on the HiDPI front. So, that scale factor in the GUI? It's gone! If you want to take a look (BACKUP FIRST), you can check out the Development snapshots (at the bottom of the page): https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds. They are all are version 5.2.97 (that means development). Use at your own risk...