[Solved] VBox is not working after Hyper-V installed

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Shah P

[Solved] VBox is not working after Hyper-V installed

Post by Shah P »

Hello, long story short, I had VB working with Win7Pro in a Win10Pro host. I needed this setup to run some work specific softwares which would not run in windows 10.
I had the VB working perfectly, win7 recognized my usb devices as well. So I got this crazy idea to see if I can carry out the same thing in Hyper-V.
I could not figure out how to get the wind 7 installed in Hyper-V. So I uninstalled it and since then My VB no longer works and gives me the following error message.
Failed to open a session for the virtual machine wiTECH.

Raw-mode is unavailable courtesy of Hyper-V. (VERR_SUPDRV_NO_RAW_MODE_HYPER_V_ROOT).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
I have done the repair installation, uninstalled and reinstalled, erased all the VMs and still doing the same thing.

any help is greatly appreciated,
Also, is there a way to have Hyper-V and VB installed at the same time with out messing up VB?
Thanks
Shah
Last edited by socratis on 4. May 2018, 01:11, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: VBox is not working after Hyper-V installed

Post by BillG »

No, they will not work together. When Hyper-V is installed, the hypervisor loads before the OS. Your host is running on top of it so it is not in direct contact with the hardware.

The closest you can get is to have two separate boot entries, one with the hypervisor enabled and one with is disabled. You can then go from one to the other with a reboot.

https://marcofranssen.nl/switch-between ... n-windows/
Bill
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Oh, and please don't forget to complain to Microsoft about their does-not-play-nice-with-others behavior/attitude! Loudly!!!

VMWare and VirtualBox can run fine at the same time. If Hyper-V is installed (just installed, not even running), neither VMWare nor VirtualBox can run! :evil:
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Shah P

Post by Shah P »

After tinkering with hyper-v for a bit, I found out win 7 installs on Gen 1, but not 2. Gen 1 doesn't support usb pass thru. So I finitly need to get VBox working again. Hyper-v is uninstalled, but I still get the above error message. How do I get VBox workimg again?
Thanks.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

After making 110% sure that Hyper-V is disabled in the Windows Features, you might want to make sure that Fast Boot is disabled and do a cold boot (i.e. shut down the host for a minute or two).

You also must make sure that nothing else is using Hyper-V, things like antivirus, debuggers, emulators, etc. Check out the article "I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests" to get some ideas...

Open an elevated Command Prompt (right-click, Run-as-Administrator) and execute the commands:
  • dism /Online /Disable-Feature:Microsoft-Hyper-V
    bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Shah P

Post by Shah P »

Thank you very much, I got VBox working again.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Great, I'll mark the topic as [Solved], but do you mind sharing with the rest of us what was it that actually fixed it?
Shah P

Re: [Solved] VBox is not working after Hyper-V installed

Post by Shah P »

I went to windows services, stopped all hyper-v related services, then went to windows features and uninstalled all hyper-v related features EXCEPT hypervisor, then uninstalled VBox. Rebooted and installed VBox again and it worked, no more errors.

That was before I saw your respond with the commands, so i didn't get to try out the commands.
Thank you all, there was a good amount of info in the responses and it helped a lot.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Shah P wrote:uninstalled all hyper-v related features EXCEPT hypervisor
I'm sorry, but I don't quite understand that part, could you either clarify, or include a screenshot so that we're in the same page?
Shah P wrote:uninstalled all hyper-v related features ... Rebooted
That's what did it! There was no need to uninstall/reinstall VirtualBox, but a clean start never hurt anyone... ;)
EricLeBouffon
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Win Server 2008 R2, Win 7 Ultimate 32

Post by EricLeBouffon »

socratis wrote:Great, I'll mark the topic as [Solved], but do you mind sharing with the rest of us what was it that actually fixed it?
I had the same problem and I just disabled Hyper-V, rebooted, ran your two commands and everything went back fine straight away

Thank you so much.
Nerferus

Problems with Hyper_V to execute VM's

Post by Nerferus »

Hi. This is my first post in this forum.I would really appreciate the help.
I have the windows 10 April update 2018
i have a problem with virtual box on Windows 10. When i try execute a virtual machines appears this message
Photo message
Photo message
Captura1.PNG (14.83 KiB) Viewed 22540 times

I don't have installed anything services for Hyper V
Attachments
Hyper_v OFF 2
Hyper_v OFF 2
Captura3.PNG (6.39 KiB) Viewed 22540 times
Hyper_v OFF
Hyper_v OFF
Captura.PNG (2.92 KiB) Viewed 22540 times
Last edited by Nerferus on 4. May 2018, 16:23, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@Nerferus
One post below yours, there was the exact same discussion, so I merged your topic with the existing one.
Please read the discussion from the beginning.
Shah P

Post by Shah P »

My apologies for the error in the solution i posted earlier, saying EXCEPT hypervisor was meant to be Including Windows Hypervisor Platform.
Windows Hypervisor Platform is not with in the Hyper-V branches, but rather further down the list.
hypervisor.png
hypervisor.png (28.65 KiB) Viewed 22530 times
Make sure you uninstall that as well.