Host-only Adapter disappears after installing Windows 10 update: "Windows Servicing (WaaS) 1709"

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
DougE

Host-only Adapter disappears after installing Windows 10 update: "Windows Servicing (WaaS) 1709"

Post by DougE »

After installing the "Windows Servicing (WaaS) 1709" update, my adapter Host-Only disappeared from the windows adapter list and from the VirtualBox Preferences->Network->Host-Only adapter list.
Prior to the windows update, the host-only adapter #1 was renamed to "VSIL" because this is required for my specific test environment software.
I am able to create Host-Only Adapter #2, but Windows will not allow me to rename it to "VSIL". An error message tells me that an adapter named "VSIL" already exists.
Uninstalling and reinstalling VirtualBox did not fix the problem.
I searched through the registry and found and deleted two instances of the "VSIL" adapter, but windows still thinks the adapter exists.
I also tried ""set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1", but that didn't reveal anything.
Does anyone know where the rest of the adapter information is stored and how to remove it?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Doug
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Host-only Adapter disappears after installing Windows 10 update: "Windows Servicing (WaaS) 1709"

Post by mpack »

I suggest that you reinstall VirtualBox. That should restore the bridged adapter filters which were removed by the Windows update.

Basically, any time you get a Win10 feature update, expect to have to reinstall VirtualBox.

Reinstalling VirtualBox does not affect your VMs.