NEED HELP - Ubuntu Boot Failure

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Simon111

NEED HELP - Ubuntu Boot Failure

Post by Simon111 »

Hi Guys, i have my Ubuntu 17.10 on the recent VBox....
But i have a big problem.... when i want to boot it gets stuck when all the red dots under the ubuntu logo are filled....
i was looking all over the internet but cant even find a solution..... before i for example can update the system, install guest additions etc, it tells me to use dpkg --configure -a.... but then i get the reply that its area is "read only"... then i type in "mount -o remount,rw/" but only some kind of menu pops up which i cant even see fully because the screen is not scaled correctlyy....

plz help guys i have the files for my university on this vbox.....
-> option 2: is there a way to acces the files on the ubuntu.vdi from another virtual machine ínstallation?? if yes can u tell me how?? .... maybe option 2 is easier...

PS: When i just select dpkg in the menu before going into shell, it gets stuck after some time.... telling that a certain file called snapd.snap-repair.service is disabled or a static unit, not starting it

when i press alt+ctrl+f1 nothing happens....

when i run the update it tells me that he couldnt get any! packages from the servers.....(no connection)

when i run sudo apt-get install virtualbox-* it tells me that i have to use dpkg.....
Attachments
VBOX LOGS 2304.zip
(106.66 KiB) Downloaded 89 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: NEED HELP - Ubuntu Boot Failure

Post by socratis »

From the VBoxHardening.log:
d10.fa0:     ProductName:     ZoneAlarm
That's not a 100% proof that this is causing the problems, but a highly suspect product...
2718.338: supR3HardenedMonitor_LdrLoadDll: error opening 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\certsentry.dll':
          2 (NtPath=\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\certsentry.dll; Input=certsentry.dll; rcNtGetDll=0xc0000135
You have several errors about this. A quick search shows that it's part of "COMODO CertSentry". Another highly suspect product...

From the VBox.log:
VirtualBox VM 5.2.0 r118431 win.amd64 (Oct 18 2017 06:24:56) release log
That's quite an old version of VirtualBox. You might want to update to the latest release, 5.2.8 for Windows, as of this writing.
00:00:02.228485 NumCPUs <integer> = 0x0000000000000004 (4)
00:00:02.739146 CPUM: Physical host cores: 4
You have assigned all your CPUs to the VM. The host is going to run low on resources, since VirtualBox cares about physical processors (cores), not logical ones (threads). See "CPU Cores versus threads" and "Why is it a bad idea to allocate as many VCPUs as there are physical CPUs?". For reference, your AMD A8-3800 has 4 cores (it also has 4 threads).
00:00:02.228799 [/Devices/hpet/0/Config/] (level 4)
00:00:02.228801   ICH9 <integer> = 0x0000000000000001 (1)
00:00:02.228843 [/Devices/ich9pcibridge/] (level 2)
Now, I honestly would like a good explanation of why you switched your chipset from PIIX3 (default) to ICH9 (not recommended, experimental, OSX guests *ONLY*). A really good explanation why you're trying to ruin your VM on purpose!
00:00:02.229149 VRamSize <integer> = 0x0000000001000000 (16 777 216, 16 MB)
You should increase the VRAM to 32 or 64 MB.
00:00:29.469598 VMMDev: Guest Additions information report: Version 5.1.28 r117968 '5.1.28_Ubuntu'
Not only you didn't update the Guest Additions (GAs) (you just "inserted" the GAs CD without actually installing them), you still have the Ubuntu-specific GAs installed. You need to uninstall/nuke/purge them and then install the ones that come with your VirtualBox version.

After that your VBox.log ends prematurely. Always grab a log after you've completely shut down the VM. BTW, I don't need 4 logs to shift through, you're not paying me enough ;) One log (the VBox.log) is the only one I need...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Simon111

Post by Simon111 »

Hey Socra,
thx for ur quick answer. Unfortunatly, none of ur suggested solutions seem to work.... i think the problem is in ubuntu......
does anyone got any ideas?
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

If you have followed all of the steps suggested then we are going to need new log files as the contents will have changed quite significantly.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
Simon111

Post by Simon111 »

The log file is here.... thx for ur help..... (btw: comodo is not longer installed and couldnt find the file in windows folder......)
Attachments
VBox.log
(112.69 KiB) Downloaded 94 times
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

00:00:31.830951 VMMDev: Guest Additions information report: Version 5.1.28 r117968 '5.1.28_Ubuntu'
You still haven't followed socratis' instructions and nuked the old forked guest additions and installed the correct ones that match your version of VirtualBox (5.2.8).

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
Simon111

Post by Simon111 »

sorry andy.... i am not able to do anything in ubuntu as i posted...... i am not able to do anything
andyp73
Volunteer

Post by andyp73 »

Have you tried pulling up the Grub menu and selecting the "recovery mode" option? That way you should be able to mount enough of the file systems (possibly manually) to be able to purge the old guest additions (and anything else VirtualBox related from the Ubuntu guest.

-Andy.
Simon111

Post by Simon111 »

sorry andy..... in my post on top i am talking about operating in the recovery mode (ofc....)....... so the problems i have are in the first post of me...

was able to get in the write/read mode but still.. when i want tp repair the packets i get the snapd error..... was reading in the internet about it but the offered solutions only relate to fixing the snapd package on a running system, cause the error there was caused by corrupted files which had to be deleted......
*bump*

so basically i am not able to update, fix, install or remove guest additions.... nothings working :(
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Create a new VM from scratch. Stick with the defaults, except RAM size, VRAM size, HD size and number of CPUs. See how that goes...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Simon111

Post by Simon111 »

No, when i set up a new machine on the same vdi it does not boot aswell... as i stated the fault is os based......
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Simon111 wrote:on the same vdi
Did you see in my response anywhere saying to use the same VDI? No, your didn't. I said create a new VM and I meant a completely new VM, with its own brand new VDI. Not the old, the botched one. A new one. Completely independent. Can you do that?