[WorksForMe] No floppy controller

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
kemperhills

[WorksForMe] No floppy controller

Post by kemperhills »

I am trying to install Windows 95 in VB on a Windows 7 Pro x64 host. I clicked new, went through the process to create a new VM but when I try to start the 95 VM I get the message: FATAL: No bootable medium found System halted. So I says I forgot to set up my floppy in VB so I go to Settings, Storage and there is no floppy controler,there is an IDE controller. VDI and the Host Drive D[optical drive] is present and not grayed under the IDE controller I can't even add anything there. When I click on Controlle: IDE the "adds optical drive" icon is grayed out and the "add hard disk" icon is grayed out.

I have Windows 3.1 installed in VB and had no trouble getting the 3.1 VM to recognize the floppy drive. I also have five other OS's running in VM's and had no trouble installing them. I am using Virtualbox 5.2.8. I have the Extension Pack installed and all Guest Additions installed on the OS's that have guest additions to run.

The VM is not running when I try to do this, and I have, by searching, found out other sections of Settings is either entirely grayed out or partially grayed out. Any thoughts or solutions. Thanks.
Last edited by socratis on 24. Apr 2018, 10:00, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Marked as [WorksForMe].
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: No floppy controller

Post by andyp73 »

If you go to the storage page within the guest settings and click on the button highlighted in the image below one of the options is "Add floppy controller"
add controller.png
add controller.png (94.4 KiB) Viewed 3332 times
The odd thing is, I thought the default templates for both Windows 95 and Windows 98 included the floppy controller by default.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
kemperhills

Post by kemperhills »

Forgive my ignorance. This is new to me. I open Oracle Virtualbox, highlight Windows 95 in the left pane, click setting and I see nothing like the image you posted What I see is:

Untitled.png
Untitled.png (84.7 KiB) Viewed 3330 times

If I am not doing it right please tell me what I am doing wrong. Thanks.
Lean_geek

Post by Lean_geek »

Why you need floppy at all ?
However create a new vm and accept all defaults. Now din't run it. Open settings and go to storage. Add the iso in cd drive.
Floppy would be present there. Again see system. Make sure 3 out of 4(except network )are checked. Save, exit and start.
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

Lean_geek wrote:Why you need floppy at all ?
If I remember correctly (and I could be mistaken), all the genuine versions of Windows 95 needed a boot floppy to kick start the installation.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

kemperhills wrote:highlight Windows 95 in the left pane, click setting and I see nothing like the image you posted
It's exactly the same image as Andy has posted, minus the differences between the host OS. You need to click on the bottom of the screen the leftmost icon, the one that Andy highlighted.

Now, yours seem to be greyed out, which means that either the VM is running, or it's in Saved state. You can't change the hardware in neither of these cases, the VM needs to be Powered Off for any hardware modifications to be allowed.

You wouldn't change the hardware on your computer when it was running or hibernating, would you? Same concept...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
kemperhills

Post by kemperhills »

andyp73 wrote:If I remember correctly (and I could be mistaken), all the genuine versions of Windows 95 needed a boot floppy to kick start the installation.
Correct Andy. Thanks.
kemperhills

Post by kemperhills »

Well, I did as Lean_Geek suggested and re-installed the VM and all is well. Don't know why it didn't install correctly the first time but it did this time. I have been using VB for years on different computers, different Windows OS's, and Linux and never saw this happen before. Thanks Lean_Geek and all who responded.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Glad you got it going. Marking as [WorksForMe].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.