No bridged mode with 5.1.34 on Windows 10

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Mickyel

No bridged mode with 5.1.34 on Windows 10

Post by Mickyel »

Hi, this is my first post,

i am runing windows 10 as host just installed virtual box 5.1.34-121010, i got an error response code, i tried the clicking ndis6 driver on off thing, still got the same error code, virtual maschine wont start,

i tried the above in cmd prompt and powershell in administrator mode, but got an error message, "this app can't run on your pc" in blue pop up and it says access denied in cmd prompt,

any and all help would be appreiciated
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: No bridged mode with 5.1.34 on Windows 10

Post by socratis »

I split your post from the thread titled "No bridged mode with 5.0.4 on Windows 7".
  • You do not have Windows 7.
  • You do not have 5.0.4
  • You do not have a non-working bridged adapter, you can't install your Bridged adapter.
So, while a problem might sound close enough, checking the basic details proves that it's not. It's not a good idea to hijack existing threads, when it's as easy as creating a new one. A whole new thread, just for you! ;)

Do not try to mess with the NDIS6 on a Windows 10 host, you do NOT want to do that. What's the problem with the default installation? Does it refuse to install the Bridged filters?

Do you have any 3rd party antivirus or system-wide-modifying software running? If yes, uninstall all of them. Then try the installation again...

If I didn't understand the symptoms correctly, jump in any time...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Mickyel

Post by Mickyel »

hi,

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Kali-Linux-2018.1-vbox-amd64.
Failed to open/create the internal network 'HostInterfaceNetworking-Killer Wireless-n/a/ac 1535 Wireless Network Adapter' (VERR_INTNET_FLT_IF_NOT_FOUND).

Failed to attach the network LUN (VERR_INTNET_FLT_IF_NOT_FOUND).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
i get this message everytime i try to start my virtual machine from a premade kali virtual image i downloaded from their website

i have tried deleting the machine and importing again from the image on two different drives, i've tried reinstalling virtualbox, but not a less up to date version.

i do not have nay third party antivirus or system wide scanning apps,

help would be appreciated, thank you!
Last edited by socratis on 23. Apr 2018, 01:30, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
Mickyel

Post by Mickyel »

Now vm will boot without the above error code, however, there is no internet reaching the vm, so bridged connection is not working for some reason...

help would be appreciated!

thanks!
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

There is this a change in the 5.2.10 and 5.1.36 versions changelog that were (theoretically) released on 2018-04-17:
• Network: fixed VERR_INTNET_FLT_IF_NOT_FOUND when bridging to some adapters on Windows hosts (possibly related bugs #15294, #15060, #13481)
Unfortunately a technical glitch has not allowed the Windows VirtualBox versions to be released. They're working on the glitch, so, keep your eyes open when the 5.1.36 (or 5.2.10) version is out...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Mickyel

Post by Mickyel »

hello, so i decided to try a different virtualization program vmware and what i've found is that i am experiencing the same issue with no internet reaching the vm while connection is set to bridged mode in settings, i bring this to the table because i thought it might help someone to solve this if they know oither virtualization platforms have the same problem.

It does hot however leave me with a solution as to how i can run kali on my windows 10 host in a vm, any suggestions are welcome, i will try getting in touch with vmware support in the mean time maybe they have a solution.

thank you!
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

You could always pop over to the test builds page and download the latest (5.2.11.122202) installer and see whether that changes the situation as it will include the 5.2.10 fixes that socratis mentioned.

If not, we would benefit from seeing the VBox.log file from the guest in question. Boot the guest, make sure the problem occurs then shut the guest down (by force if necessary). zip the log file and post it.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
Mickyel

Post by Mickyel »

Ok, i have tried the latest test build it now allows the VM to boot etc.. the error code above no longer occurs, however, like with vmware, the vm is getting no internet, it just says wired connecting in the setting panel and then eventually gives up and says wired off..

could there be something obvious i am missing?

Thanks!
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

You have a Windows 10 host but I don't think you have specified anywhere what the guest OS is. Posting the VBox.log file would be a great help to us but a couple of simple things you can do...

Try running (and post the output from) which ever of the following commands is appropriate for your guest:
ifconfig -a (Linux guest) or ipconfig /all (Windows guest)
-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
Mickyel

Post by Mickyel »

hello, sorry if i was not clear on my guest os, it is kali 64bit linux 2018, i ran your command in terminal and this was the result:

Code: Select all

root@kali:~# ifconfig -a
eth0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
        ether 08:00:27:59:1b:51  txqueuelen 1000  (Ethernet)
        RX packets 0  bytes 0 (0.0 B)
        RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0
        TX packets 58  bytes 9860 (9.6 KiB)
        TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0

lo: flags=73<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING>  mtu 65536
        inet 127.0.0.1  netmask 255.0.0.0
        inet6 ::1  prefixlen 128  scopeid 0x10<host>
        loop  txqueuelen 1000  (Local Loopback)
        RX packets 16  bytes 960 (960.0 B)
        TX packets 16  bytes 960 (960.0 B)
Last edited by socratis on 23. Apr 2018, 16:54, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [code] tag for better readability
Mickyel

Post by Mickyel »

swithcing the adpater settings nat instead of bridged seems to have given my linux guest access to the internet?

is this a fix?

i ran the command again and this was the result:

Code: Select all

eth0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
        inet 10.0.2.15  netmask 255.255.255.0  broadcast 10.0.2.255
        inet6 fe80::a00:27ff:fe59:1b51  prefixlen 64  scopeid 0x20<link>
        ether 08:00:27:59:1b:51  txqueuelen 1000  (Ethernet)
        RX packets 7033  bytes 7814630 (7.4 MiB)
        TX packets 4259  bytes 377789 (368.9 KiB)

lo: flags=73<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING>  mtu 65536
        inet 127.0.0.1  netmask 255.0.0.0
        inet6 ::1  prefixlen 128  scopeid 0x10<host>
        loop  txqueuelen 1000  (Local Loopback)
        RX packets 22  bytes 1270 (1.2 KiB)
        TX packets 22  bytes 1270 (1.2 KiB)
is there something about bridged that is better than this nat option? i don't understand at all the difference between the two just that i want internet on my vm and nat options gives that...

thanks!
Last edited by socratis on 23. Apr 2018, 17:13, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [code] tag for better readability
andyp73
Volunteer

Post by andyp73 »

There are detail on the various networking modes in Ch6: Virtual Networking of the user manual.

Which of "NAT" or "Bridged" works best for you depends on what you want to achieve. NAT is the simplest option and acts much like a real computer that connects to the Internet through a router. Bridged makes your guest appear the same as any physical computer connected to your network and requires either fixed IP addresses to be set or an external DHCP server.

-Andy.
Mickyel

Post by Mickyel »

very well, for the time being it seems that nat is suitable enough for what I'm doing so i will use that, thank you for your help!
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Mickyel wrote:so i decided to try a different virtualization program vmware and what i've found is that i am experiencing the same issue with no internet reaching the vm while connection is set to bridged mode in settings
VMWare and VirtualBox are unrelated computer programs. What works in one generally has no relevance to what works in the other, unless the same guest installation is used in both, and the problem is with the guest OS configuration rather than the host code.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@Mickyel
Let me make a wild guess here and assume that you were using Bridged-over-WiFi. All the symptoms that you describe point to that...

Bridged and wireless don't always play nice. Bridged networking is outside the WLAN specification (i.e. not officially supported). Bridging to wireless is not really bridging, it's a "hack". The guest shares the MAC of the host and the host does a sort of MAC-NAT translation based on IP addresses. It may or may not work. Some combinations of Routers/Access Points, WLAN cards and drivers work, some don't. See: Bridging & Wifi - Supported hardware and add your experience.

Choosing NAT should work right out of the box. And if you have the option to test Bridged-over-Ethernet, that should work too. Give it a shot...