sfc /scannow

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Jiger
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: MS Windows XP, Linux Mint

sfc /scannow

Post by Jiger »

I have Windows XP Pro as a Guest in a Windows 10 Home as Host.
When trying to run sfc /scannow in the Guest system I get the following error message: (this is an attempt to translate it from swedish)

Windows Fileprotection

Files necessary for Windows to work correctly have to be copied to the cashe memory for DLL-files.
The network place (\\vboxsrv\VMSharedfiles) where the files should be copied from is not available.
Contact the system administrator or inject the Windows XP Professional CD-ROM now.

Injecting the CD-ROM in the Host system does NOT make it available for the Guest system!

What is wrong and what should be done here?

Jiger
mpack
Site Moderator
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: sfc /scannow

Post by mpack »

I have no idea what that message is, I can only tell you that it has nothing to do with VirtualBox. It seems to me that you have been installing software in a GA shared folder, which is a very bad idea: you should never have executables in a shared folder.

I assume when you say that you're trying to run "sfc /scannow" in an XP guest that you are running the version of that tool that shipped with the guest, and you have not copied in the host tool into a shared folder?
Jiger

Post by Jiger »

The only program I have in the shared folder is an old DOS-program (that doesn´t work on the c-disk), and I CAN delete that because I am not using it anymore. But there are a lot of installation files (executables) in the shared folder.
When running sfc /scannow from the guest, it is of course (or must be) the xp version, or?
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

GA shared folders are quite simple, designed only for getting files into and out of a VM. I would not run installer executables from there.

Normally on a PC I create an "Installed Software" folder somewhere, and I use that to keep the installers of all software. I also run the installer from there.
Jiger

Post by Jiger »

Well, I haven´t had any problem with installation files in the shared folder during all the time (about two years) that I have had xp as a vm. But I ´ll see what I can do about that..
But how do I make a CD available from the guest. I suppose it´s possible to run sfc /scannow from there.
Jiger

Post by Jiger »

I mean, of course, how do I make a CD available in the guest from the host. I suppose it´s possible to run sfc /scannow in the guest in this way.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Jiger wrote:But how do I make a CD available from the guest. I suppose it´s possible to run sfc /scannow from there.
I don't understand the question. "sfc" is a built in command in the XP guest. sfc.exe is located in the C:\Windows\System32 folder inside the guest. You do not need a copy of it either in a shared folder or on a CD. Since the purpose is for Windows to check itself for DLL errors, it is pointless to copy this tool to other hosts.

For the general question of connecting a CD (physical or ISO) to a VM, see section 3.7 of the user manual.
Jiger

Post by Jiger »

OK, thank you for the reference to the manual, but back to square one - how shall I handle the original error message?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

This is NOT a VirtualBox problem.
You installed something at some point from "\\vboxsrv\VMSharedfiles" and there are references about it, most probably in the registry. You'll need to clean up your registry, and it would be better if you first stop any sharing that you have done.

I would suggest to shut down the VM, remove any shares, launch the VM, cleanup your registry. CCleaner is a freeware utility that could help you. Mind the installation, it comes with "offers" from 3rd parties, known as "bundleware". Also, review each and every change that you make, and make a backup of the registry keys that are going to be deleted. Afterwards, you can also remove CCleaner as well...

Again, this is NOT a VirtualBox problem, treat it as such.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Jiger

Post by Jiger »

OK, thank you very much - I´ll see what I can do about this, but not today.
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

It is purely a Windows XP problem. If you google the problem you will see posts going back to 2006 at least. You are trying to run a Windows utility which is either missing or corrupted, so the OS is asking for a disk which contains a workable version. This message is from the OS in the vm, so you need to make the CD available to the vm, not the host.
Bill
Jiger

Post by Jiger »

Again, I thank you very much, I feel that you have a very good support here.I am going to delete exe-files from the shared folder, then run a cleaning program to see if this helps. Otherwise I have to use the XP installation cd.
Lean_geek

Post by Lean_geek »

To make a cd available ,add another IDE cd drive and put the cd there and start the vm.
Open my computer, if cd is in D: or E: or such, its ok. If not open add hardware wizard then go ahead. Reboot the vm.
Jiger

Post by Jiger »

Thanks again for the tip, I ran the full reparation today, and found that sfc /scannow works but it needs the CD/DVD, or iso-file that I used, but that is probably OK, or..?