[Solved] How to run virtualbox VM on disconnected Ethernet network adapter

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Pingpongofkingkong

[Solved] How to run virtualbox VM on disconnected Ethernet network adapter

Post by Pingpongofkingkong »

I want to know if it is possible to have communication (tcp, http) between Windows host and Linux guest, when host has no internet connection by enabling Ethernet Connection network card, but no cable plugged in, and disabling all wireless network card.

If it is possible, how should I set up the connection between host and guest.

This is because if Internet connection is enabled, due to company firewall, communication between host and guest is blocked. This is related to viewtopic.php?f=6&t=87602
Last edited by socratis on 20. Apr 2018, 17:21, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: How to run virtualbox VM on disconnected Ethernet network adapter

Post by socratis »

Please read the following: User Manual, ch. 6.2. Introduction to networking modes including the Overview table, which shows quickly what kind of connection is required to achieve what you want. And remember, you can always have more than one network card in your guest to cover multiple scenarios.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Pingpongofkingkong

Thanks, I did check that and tried this below before raising the ticket.

I tried Host-only networking, but guest has no ip address. I cannot ping guest from host.

Again, I disconnected Ethernet card.

Update: I can see ip address now, and ping to guest, vice versa. But I have the issue mentioned on next post.
Last edited by Pingpongofkingkong on 20. Apr 2018, 15:57, edited 1 time in total.
Pingpongofkingkong

Before you can attach a VM to a host-only network you have to create at least one host-only interface, either from the GUI: "File" → "Preferences" → "Network" → "Host-only network" → "(+)Add host-only network", or via command line with

VBoxManage hostonlyif create
https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch06. ... rkingmodes

I cannot see "Host-only network" on this screen. Because I need to configure IP address statically like below:
For host-only networking, like with internal networking, you may find the DHCP server useful that is built into VirtualBox. This can be enabled to then manage the IP addresses in the host-only network since otherwise you would need to configure all IP addresses statically.
[*]In the VirtualBox graphical user interface, you can configure all these items in the global settings via "File" → "Preferences" → "Network", which lists all host-only networks which are presently in use. Click on the network name and then on the "Edit" button to the right, and you can modify the adapter and DHCP settings.
Attachments
Host-only interface.PNG
Host-only interface.PNG (72.33 KiB) Viewed 1232 times
Pingpongofkingkong

I find it another window.

Thanks.

How to ressolve the ticket?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

By ticket you mean this "thread" or did you open a ticket in the BugTracker? If it's this thread, don't worry, I'll edit your first post and mark it as [Solved].

Glad you got it going... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.