Moving VM from one setup to another

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
vb88

Moving VM from one setup to another

Post by vb88 »

I've upgraded my HD to SSD recently and want to move VM (W7 running in W7 host) to its new location (SSD).

But whatever I try to do, VirtualBox fails to run new (moved) VM... When I boot to the old HD I can still run VM just fine.

1. I exported it as .OVA file and imported it in new location. When I try to run it, I'm getting error:

Code: Select all

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine W7-05.

A new node couldn't be inserted because one with the same name exists. (VERR_CFGM_NODE_EXISTS).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
There is no any VM on this new VirtualBox installation!

How to reset VirtualBox to get rid of this error?

2. I tried to copy the whole folder of VM from HD to its new location in SSD. But how can I register it with new VirtualBox setup? Is it any way to make it configured and running in new VB setup?

3. I tried to make a new VM for the same OS (W7) and point its storage to the copied .VDI file. VirtualBox fails to run it too...

Whatever I do, VB fails to run the old machine that I can still run well from the old setup. I presume moving VM is a common task for many users and should not be so difficult... :(

Just in case: Old HD setup - VB v5.0.2. New SSD setup - VB v5.2.8. Both are in W7 OS.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Moving VM from one setup to another

Post by socratis »

Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
vb88

Post by vb88 »

Thanks for the quick reply.

I tried the recommended way and copied VM folder to new SSD location. Then added it via GUI menu Machine | Add.... When I started it, I'm getting the error:

Code: Select all

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine W7-05.

Error reading custom ACPI table (VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
What does it mean? As far as I recollect I did not configure any "custom ACPI table" there...

How to fix the problem?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

For the affected VM, please ZIP and upload it's "recipe", the .vbox file. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.

I'd like to have a look at it. That's a really weird error...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
vb88

Post by vb88 »

Here is the "W7-05.vbox" in ZIP file.
Thanks
Attachments
W7-05.zip
(2.06 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

vb88 wrote:As far as I recollect I did not configure any "custom ACPI table" there...
Yes you did, that's the problem. From the recipe, you have definitely included a custom ACPI table:
<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal/Devices/acpi/0/Config/CustomTable" value="D:\VM\VB\SLIC_V2.1-Lenovo.bin"/>
The big question is: WHY?
vb88

Post by vb88 »

I don't know why.

How to remove it?

I actually still have access to old VB setup...
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

To remove it open a Command Prompt and enter the command:
  • cd "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox"
    VBoxManage setextradata "W7-05" VBoxInternal/Devices/acpi/0/Config/CustomTable
That's assuming that VirtualBox is installed in the default directory "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox". If not, adjust your command accordingly.
vb88

Post by vb88 »

Thank you, @socratis
I'll try it.