Sound choppy with Win 10 host, Ubuntu guest

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
FreyjasChosen

Sound choppy with Win 10 host, Ubuntu guest

Post by FreyjasChosen »

Hello all,
I'm new to virtualization. I just installed Ubuntu in VirtualBox on my Windows 10 desktop PC in order to study for Linux certifications. Everything seems to be working find except for the sound. When I load up Pandora Radio or Youtube videos, the sound is skipping ahead around 2-3 seconds each time, and it sounds like a garbled mess. The settings are:

Host Driver: Windows DirectSound
Controller: ICH AC97

I tried using Intel HD Audio and SoundBlaster 16, neither produce any sound. They're silent.

Any advice would be appreciated. Keep in mind I'm a total beginner to this, so talk to me like I'm 5. :) Thanks!

EDIT: I have a Core i7-6700k and am using on-board audio.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Sound choppy with Win 10 host, Ubuntu guest

Post by socratis »

FreyjasChosen wrote:Any advice would be appreciated.
My advice would be to use... search engines. If you don't find any references, let me know...

BTW, a great tip for search engines is to limit the scope of the search, e.g. "sound choppy site:forums.virtualbox.org".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.