W2000 to W7 VM

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
SoYouz

W2000 to W7 VM

Post by SoYouz »

Hello to all,

I am trying to virtualize a hard drive from a W2K system and inject it into a W7 vm. Has any one done this before? How can it work?

thank you
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: W2000 to W7 VM

Post by socratis »

• Search for Disk2VHD, a Microsoft tool to save your physical disk in the VHD format.
  • Convert the VHD to VDI, which is native to VirtualBox. You can either read ch 8.24. VBoxManage clonemedium, or use the nice CloneVDI utility to do so.
  • Create a new VM as close to the original as possible. When prompted for a disk, choose the VDI you just created.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
SoYouz

Post by SoYouz »

Thankyou for responding.

I have gone through all the steps that you have suggested. Nevertheless, when the vm launches I get a blue screen with "inaccesible_boot_device". Any suggestions? I will go through de file data tu see if something is missing.

kind regards
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

SoYouz wrote:I get a blue screen with "inaccesible_boot_device"
Blue? As in Blue Screen Of Death? BSOD? What's the error message there?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
SoYouz

Post by SoYouz »

Yes... blue as in blue.. please see the attachement
Attachments
VirtualBox_amada_18_04_2018_16_13_47.png
VirtualBox_amada_18_04_2018_16_13_47.png (7.45 KiB) Viewed 1538 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

The third part of the whole conversion process that I talked about, was:
socratis wrote:• Create a new VM as close to the original as possible.
Now, the disk controller that you selected for your VM does not match the one that you had in the original hardware. Was this a SATA device and you maybe selected an IDE controller in your VM Settings? If so, add a SATA controller and attach the VDI in that SATA controller.
SoYouz

Post by SoYouz »

Those settings are correct. I would have prefered that the solution be so simple.. :D but of course not. I disabled all useless settings, have effectively tried to recreate the old original machine with the possible settings proposed.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Stop 0x7B is of course the "where did my disk controller go?" exception.

If it was a Win2K system then I doubt it was SATA. Win2K predates XP so had no native SATA support, and I expect it has the same blind spot regarding IDE controller changes as XP had.

The OP could try the MergeIDE trick from the old Migrate an existing XP install tutorial, I would guess this works on Win2K though I've never tried it. MergeIDE needs to be run before the system is imaged, but hopefully after a backup is made.
SoYouz

Post by SoYouz »

I will try this tomorrow.. thank for your help
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

mpack wrote:Win2K predates XP so had no native SATA support
mpack wrote:The OP could try the MergeIDE trick
Both great ideas!